An ancient city near the Chambal River, Dholpur also called Dhaulpur is located in the Dholpur district of Rajasthan
. It is the administrative seat of the Dholpur district. Bharatpur
, the administrative headquarters of the Bharatpur
district is located at a distance of 113 km. from Dholpur.
Agra is located 60km. north of Dholpur and Delhi
is located at a distance of 230km.It is well connected by railways and the nearest railway station is the Dhaulpur Railway Station on the Gwalior- Agra line. Train service is regular connecting Dholpur with New Delhi. The National Highway 3 (NH 3) passes through Dholpur.
Dhawal Deo, a Tomara Rajput chieftain founded Dholpur in the 11th century at a site little north from its present location. The rulers of Delhi and Agra
frequently invaded this city because it is situated near royal cities like Gwalior and Bayana. When Sikander Lodhi invaded Dholpur in 1501 the city was destroyed and devastated. The Moghul ruler Babur conquered Dholpur in 1526. During the reign of Humayun, the site of the city was moved eastwards in order to prevent the erosion from the Chambal River. Dholpur was the capital of the princely state of Dholpur during the colonial period.
Located at a height of 177 metres (580 feet) above mean sea level and between 26.7° North latitude and 77.9° East longitude, it is inhabited by 92,137 individuals. In Dholpur, 18% of the population is less than six years of age. According to the 2001 census report, Dhaulpur has an average literacy rate of 58%, which is lower than the national average of 59.5%. The male literacy rate is 66% and, female literacy rate is 50%.
Shergarh Fort, Khanpur Mahal, Machchhkund (8 km) and an ancient Shiva temple on the Gwalior-Agra road are places of tourist interest in Dholpur. Van Vihar wildlife sanctuary (18 km) and Ramsagar Sanctuary (36 km) are the other excursion sites in the neighbourhood.