(Last Updated on : 01/12/2011)
Vastu Shastra is the traditional Indian science of construction and architecture. The basic principles of this ancient science provide permanent prosperity, wealth and peace of mind to the residents. According to Vastu experts, there are a few basic rules laid down by the principles of Vastu Shastra. Following these rules will lead to prosperity and avoid problems and negative energy.
These rules are as follows:
* The main staircase of the building should be built in the south, the west or the south-west corners. It should never be constructed in the north-east corner. A staircase in the north-east corner will lead to loss of wealth and business. A staircase in any other corner reduces the losses.
* The staircase should rise from the east to west or the north to south directions.
* In case there are doors on the staircase, the uppermost door should be 9 to 10 inches shorter in length than the lowermost one.
* The staircase for going upstairs and to the basement should not be a common one. The uppermost stairs should have a roof. The topmost stairs should be covered by a roof.
* The number of stairs should not have zero in the unit place, such as, 10, 20, 30 and so on. They should be in odd numbers.
* Staircases should not be in the central square of the building or the Brahmasthan. The main staircase should not originate from or end in strong room, lumber room, kitchen or prayer room. Do not keep the safe under the stairs.
* Stairs should have a light colour. Staircase should not encircle the building as it may lead to many calamities. For instance the peace of the family can get disturbed. Moreover, the staircase should not be made in circular pattern as it may have negative effects on health.
* Staircase rising from the south, the west or the southwest corner is also beneficial. Circular staircase should be avoided.
* Although staircase can be constructed in the south-east or the north-west corner but it may lead to minor injuries to children.
* If the staircase is in the south-east or the south-west regions, it should rise from the east to west or from the north to south.
* Places where the staircases are not in a good state or broken, they must be repaired immediately. Otherwise this will possibly lead to mental tension and clashes. The stairs or the starting part of the stairs should never be round.
* The room with staircase in the south-west corner of the basement is not fit for living at all. It has been observed that those who stay in such rooms experience undiagnosed diseases, high blood pressure, anaemia and these usually remain incurable.