(Last Updated on : 09/05/2013)
Film and Television Producers Guild of India is an integral part of Bollywood
which helps in supporting and promotion of Indian films. Around 50 years ago, the Indian Film industry was still in a nascent stage and yet to make a global impact. Spurred by a common purpose, Dr. V. Shantaram, Raj Kapoor
, Sohrab Modi, Mehboob Khan
, Homi Wadia, S. Mukherjee, AR Kardar, Vijay Bhat, B.R. Chopra
, Baburao K Pai and BN Sircar came together to establish what would, in the years to come, be the touchstone of the Indian Film Industry.
The Indian Film Industry had found its own leading body - a Guild that nurtured excellence, boasting of members who were simply the finest in their field. Offering serious practitioners and genuine stakeholders in the business a chance to work together the Guild was formed with manifold objectives. With the passage of time, the Guild has become a powerful body, so much so that it can now justifiably lay claim to being the body to represent the Indian Film Industry in the oeuvre of world cinema. Today, every major film-maker, TV producer and entertainment corporate is associated with the Guild.
Some of the prominent names include: Shahrukh Khan
, Aamir Khan
, Amitabh Bachchan
, Anil Kapoor
, A.P. Hinduja
, B.R. Chopra
, Boney Kapoor
, Dev Anand
, Dheeraj Kumar, Feroz Khan
, G.P. Sippy, Govind Nihalani
, J. Om Prakash
, J.P. Dutta
, Jhamu Sugandh, Jeetandra
, Kamal Kumar Barjatya, Manmohan Shetty, Rakesh Roshan
, Dr Ramanand Sagar, Ramesh Prasad, Ramesh Sippy
, Ronnie Screwvala, Bobby Bedi, Harish Thawani, Shakti Samanta
, Shekhar Kapur
, Shyam Benegal
, Subhash Ghai
, Dr. Akash Khurana, Sushil Kumar Agarwal, Yash Chopra
, Kunal Dasgupta and Karan Johar
. Star India, SET India, Raymonds (Radha Krishna Films), Sahara, Disney, TV Today, TV 18 (CNBC ), Nimbus, Adlabs, Mukta, PNC, Zee Telefilms, Crest Communications, Applause (Birla group), Miditech are some of the corporate who are a part of the Guild.
Objectives of Film and Television Producers Guild of India
* The promotion, aid, help, encouragement and development of the Indian Film and Motion Picture Industry.
* The formulation of rules to govern the conduct of members and other persons in the Film Industry of India and to settle all disputes between the Guild members in general and the film industry at large.
* To extend knowledge and information about the industry. To take all necessary action in relation to the laws and regulations concerning the film industry.
* To Promote, aid, help, encourage and develop the Indian Film and Motion Picture Industry in general and to improve and raise the quality and standard of the films and motion pictures produced in India by:
- Providing a meeting place for exchange of views of all those engaged in the industry or otherwise interested.
- Providing a channel of communication with similar or allied associations or societies in India and other countries.
- Arranging lectures and demonstrations and excursion on topics pertaining to this and allied industries.
- Maintaining a suitable library for the benefit and use of the members of the Guild and for the general public, if possible.
- Investigating problems peculiar to this Industry and allied industries.
- Conducting an organ for the spread of knowledge and latest information pertaining to this and other allied industries, its and their progress and development.
- Educating the general public in the utility of the Film Industry from social, industrial, educational and cultural points of view.
- Collecting and circulating statistics and information about all matters relating to films and their production, distribution and exhibition.
- Establishing and maintaining an up to date film laboratory for the use of the members and other persons engaged in the industry on such terms as may be agreed upon and establishing a studio or studios, theatre, or a school or schools for the use of the members or other persons engaged in the industry and establishing and maintaining technical staff for advising on the various matters relating to film technique.
- Providing and formulating rules and regulations for the examination and certification of pictures produced by the members of the Guild and others.
- Manufacturing or getting manufactured all materials, accessories, machinery, raw films, chemicals and such other materials generally and particularly useful for the film industry including production, distribution and exhibition of films.
- Constructing or getting constructed building or buildings for housing various offices connected with films including production distribution and exhibition as also for use as clubs, entertainment parties, meeting halls, dramatic theatres, demonstration houses residential quarters and such other constructions.
- Establishing a full-fledged department of hiring or sale to the members of the Guild and others, all materials, property, musical instruments, wardrobes, furniture, settings and all such materials which are generally or particularly used or useful in production, distribution and exhibition of films.
- Establishing and conducting a full-fledged Press with all latest equipment to undertake all kinds of printing such as stationary, litho posters, colour pictures, show-cards, window cards, booklets and such other publicity materials as also all and every kind of printing work for the benefit of the members of the Guild and others.
- Acquiring by construction, purchase, lease, hire or otherwise cinema theatres all over India and abroad and controlling and running them.
- Establishing and controlling distribution exchanges all over India and abroad.
* To do all acts or assist in the doing of acts of all kinds whereby the Film or Motion Picture Industry or the persons engaged therein in India may be helped, assisted or aided in any manner whatsoever and without prejudice to the generality of the above to do all or any of the following acts and things:
- To organise persons interested, engaged or employed in the industry or any class or classes of such persons.
- To look after the welfare of such persons, class or classes of persons and to start a Benevolent Fund for the benefit of the persons or class or classes of persons in need of such help, either by loan, donation or such other contribution.
- To give all information in matters affecting the production, exhibition and distribution of films in India and other countries
- To bring into contract persons engaged in the different branches of film or motion picture industry.
- To undertake and carry on experimental and research work of all kinds which may be useful to the progress and benefit of the film industry.