(Last Updated on : 12-10-2019)
Sajjangad Fort is an ancient hill fort
and a pilgrimage place located in Satara district
. This beautiful fort is located in the mountain
ous terrain of the Western Ghats
. The fort served as a defensive as well as residential construction until it became a monument
till date. Sajjangad Fort is one of the top places to visit in Satara and is a protected monument.
Sajjangad Fort is not merely a place of historical eminence and relics. It is more of a devotional and a religious abode that happens to be the final resting place of the great 17th century Indian religious icon Sant Ramdas
. The maintenance of the Sajjangad Fort and the Samadhi (final resting place) of Sadguru Shri Samarth Ramdas Swami is taken care of by Ramdas Swami Sanstha, a trust which has existed since the time of Shri Ramdas Swami.
History of Sajjangad Fort
Sajjangad Fort was earlier known as Aashwalayangad and was built by the Bahamani Emperors
in between 1347-1527 AD. It was later conquered by Adil Shah
in 16th century AD. In the same year, the Mughals
attacked the Shah rulers and brought this fort under their control. The fort then came under the rule of Chhatrapati Shivaji
Maharaj. Previously known as Parali Fort, it was renamed to Sajjangad after Shivaji Maharaj requested Sri Ramdas to set up his permanent abode here. However the Mughal recaptured the fort again in the year 1700 on 21st April. This time the forts name was changed to Navrastara. The Marathas
recaptured in the year 1709. Finally this fort came under the rule of the British
in the year 1818.
Structure of Sajjangad Fort
Sajjangad Fort is well known as the spiritual capital of Maratha King Shivaji. The fort is located at an altitude of 914 m and has two main gates. The fort has two lakes
of Lord Rama
and Anglai Devi, a Math and the tomb of Swami Samarth Ramdas.
Visiting Information of Sajjangad Fort
Sajjangad Fort is some 18 km away from the city of Satara. Visitors can go to the fort from Satara Rajwadi. From there one has to climb around 230 steps to reach the gate of the fort.