Early Life of Shivraj Singh Chauhan
Shivraj Singh Chauhan was born on 5th March, 1959, in a farmer family at village Jait in Sehore district to father Shri Prem Singh Chouhan and mother Sundar Bai Chauhan. He completed his Master's degree in Philosophy from Barkatulla University and is also a gold medallist in M. A. (Philosophy) as well.
In 1975, Chauhan was President of Model Higher Secondary School Students' Union. Since 1977, Chauhan served Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (R.S.S.) as volunteer. In 1977-78, he was appointed Organising Secretary, Akhil Bhartiya Vidyarthi Parishad (A.B.V.P.). He was made the Joint Secretary of the A.B.V.P. during 1978-80. From 1980 to 1983, he held the post of General Secretary of the A.B.V.P. and also served as the Member of National Executive of A.B.V.P. from 1982 to 1983. He also held the post of Joint Secretary of Bhartiya Janta Yuva Morcha from 1984 to 1985, General Secretary of Bhartiya Janta Yuva Morcha from 1985 to 1988 and President of Bhartiya Janta Yuva Morcha from 1988 to 1991.
Political Career of Shivraj Singh Chauhan
In 1990-91, Shivraj Singh Chauhan was designated to the State Assembly from Budni Constituency. In 10th Lok Sabha, Chauhan was first voted Member of Parliament from Vidisha Constituency. In 1996, he was re-elected to the 11th Lok Sabha and again in the year 1998, Chouhan was re-elected to 12th Lok Sabha. He was elected in the 13th Lok Sabha in 1999 for his fourth term. Shivraj Singh Chauhan was appointed as a member of Consultative Committee, Ministry of Communications from 2000 to 2004. He was re-elected to 14th Lok Sabha for a fifth term in the year 2004. during his tenure he has held many other positions like:
* Governor of Akhil Bhartiya Keshariya Vahini: 1991-92
* General Secretary of All India Bhartiya Janta Yuva Morcha from 1992 onwards
* General Secretary of Bhartiya Janta Party, Madhya Pradesh from 1992 to 1994
* Member of Consultative Committee, Ministry of Human Resources Development from 1992 to 1996
* Member of Committee on Labour and Welfare from 1993 to 1996
* Member of Hindi Salahkar Samiti from 1994 to 1996
* Member of Committee on Urban and Rural Development
* Member of Consultative Committee, Ministry of Human Resources Development.
* Member of Committee on Urban and Rural Development from 1996 to 1997
* Member of Committee on Urban and Rural Development, General Secretary of B.J.P., Madhya Pradesh in 1997-98
* Member of Committee on Urban and Rural Development and it's Sub-Committee on Ministry of Rural Areas and Employment in 1998-99
* Member of Committee on Agriculture, 1999-2000
* Member of Committee on Public Undertakings from 1999 to 2001
* National President of Bhartiya Janta Yuva Morcha from 2000 to 2003
* Chairman of House Committee (Lok Sabha) and National Secretary of Bhartiya Janta Party
* Member of Consultative Committee, Ministry of Communications, from 2000 to 2004
* Member of Committee on Agriculture
* Member of Joint Committee on Offices of Profit.
* National General Secretary of BJP
* Secretary of Parliamentary Board
* Secretary Central Election Committee
* Led Housing Committee of Lok Sabha
* Member of Committee on Ethics
* President of BJP, Madhya Pradesh in 2005
Social Activities of Shivraj Singh Chauhan
Shivraj Singh Chauhan, a humanitarian by nature, is credited with organising religious and cultural activities and seminars. He is also known to arrange marriages for the poor and orphan girls. He has also been endlessly striving for the upliftment of scheduled castes.
Personal Life of Shivraj Singh Chauhan
Shivraj Singh Chauhan married Sadhana Singh in 1992. The couple has two sons. He has a keen interest in sports; he likes Kabaddi, cricket and volleyball and he is associated with various sports institutions in rural areas.
|More Articles in Chief Ministers of Indian States (68)|