Sharma also wished to set up the cottage industries and abolish this problem of unemployment. He wanted to encourage village artisan and rural youth through Khadi institutions. He has also been associated with Khadi Movement and reconstructive work for more than 40-50 years. For nearly 40 years, he has held a creditworthy position in the Sanchalak Mandal of Kshetriya Khadi Samiti, Dausa, one of the pioneer Khadi institutions in the country. He is also an active member of the Sanchalak Mandal of Udyog Mandir, Amber. His keen interest in Indian culture and its development and Sanskrit language is well known.
Early Life of Nawal Kishore Sharma
Nawal Kishore Sharma was born on 5th July 1925 to father Late Pandit Mool Chand Sharma at Dausa, Rajasthan. He completed his education from Maharaja College, Jaipur. He obtained B.A., LL.B and Sahitya Visharad. He continued his studies from Agra University, Agraand Hindi Sahitya Sammelan, Prayag (Uttar Pradesh). By profession Nawal Kishore Sharma is an Advocate and Agriculturist.
Political Career of Nawal Kishore Sharma
Nawal Kishore Sharma served the post of Chairman of Municipal Board, Dausa from 1951 to 1956. He was the Petroleum Minister under the Congress administration in 1985. He became the Speaker of the Rajasthan Assembly for the period 1998 to 2003. Sharma has also held the position of General Secretary of the Indian National Congress in 2003.
Other positions, which Nawal Kishore Sharma has served, include,
* Pradhan, Panchayat Samiti - 1961-65,
* Elected to Lok Sabha (Fourth) - 1968,
* Re-elected to Lok Sabha (Fifth) - 1971,
* Secretary, Congress Parliamentary Party and Member,
* House Committee - 1971-72,
* Chairman, Committee on Public Undertakings - 1972-73,
* Chairman, Joint Select Committee on Companies (Amendment) Bill - 1972-74,
* Joint Secretary, AICC - 1974-77, Elected to Lok Sabha (7th) for the third time - 1980
* President, I.N.T.U.C, Rajasthan - 1980-82,
* President, Pradesh Congress Committee, Rajasthan - 1982-85,
* Elected to Lok Sabha (8th) for the fourth time - 1984,
* Union Minister of State, Finance-November-December, 1984,
* Union Minister of State (Ind.Charge), Petroleum and Natural Gas - 1985-86,
* Secretary, A.I.C.C., Member of Working Committee - 1986-87, 1992-94,
* Chairman of Khadi and Village Industries Commission - 1994-96,
* Elected to Lok Sabha (11th) for the fifth time - 1996,
* Elected MLA from Jaipur Rural Constituency - 1998,
* Chairman of Rajasthan Golden Jubilee Celebration Committee - 1998, and
* General Secretary of AICC for the third time - 2003.
Other Activities of Nawal Kishore Sharma
Nawal Kishore Sharma is also credited with editing Socialist India and Socialist Bharat. He is also a columnist. Sharma was honoured with Honorary D'Litt for his Gandhian ideology in 1998. For nearly 3 years, he has worked as Secretary of Gandhi Smriti (Rajghat). He has been the member of the Board of Rural Electrification Corporation, Govt. of India, for Jaipur District Rural Electrification.
Sharma's Social and Cultural Activities includes:
* Upliftment of Adivasi people and removal of untouchability
* Organised convention for non-resident Rajasthanis living in and outside the country
* Organised national and international sports events Kavi Sammelan and Mushara to celebrate the golden jubilee celebrations.
Personal Life of Nawal Kishore Sharma
Nawal Kishore Sharma was married to Late Munni Devi, with whom, he has two sons.
|More Articles in Governors of Indian States (72)|