Ingredients for Tempering:
1. Place the toor dal in the pressure cooker along with 1-1/2 cups of water, turmeric powder and salt. Cook the toor dal in the pressure cooker until soft and mushy.
2. Once done, whisk the dal until smooth and keep aside.
3. Place the cucumber, tamarind water and salt in the pressure cooker. Allow it to pressure cook until you heat 2 to three whistles.
4. After the whistles, turn off the heat. Place the pressure cooker under cold running water to release the pressure immediately, as cucumber cooks very fast.
5. In small pan; dry roast the coriander seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal, fenugreek seeds, pepper corns and red chillies until smells roasted.
6. Place the roasted ingredients along with the coconut, onion and garlic into a food processor and blend to make a smooth paste.
7. In a large sauce pan; add in the cooked and whisked dal, the cucumber tamarind curry and the masala paste.
8. Stir well to combine all the ingredients. Place the sauce pan on medium heat and give the Thouthe Kodel a boil.
9. Heat oil in a small pan; add all the tempering ingredients. Allow the seeds to crackle and roast.
10. Add the seasoning to the simmering Thouthe Kodel and give it a stir.
11. Transfer the Thouthe Kodel to a serving bowl and serve it along with warm Steamed Rice or Neer Dosa.
|More Articles in Mangalorean Cuisine (6)|