Gujarati Kadhi, Gujarati Cuisine
Gujarati Kadhi is a traditional Gujarati preparation of a wonderful sweet and spicy curd mixture thickened with gram flour which goes very well with khichdi.
Gujarati Kadhi is a yogurt based sweet and spicy curry that is simple. The Kadhi goes well with any vegetable. It is also traditionally served along with Khichdi together known as "Khichdi Kadhi". It is usually eaten along with plain rice, jeera rice or roti and chapati. Gujarati kadhi differs from other North Indian variations like Punjabi kadhi, Maharashtrian Kadhi, Rajasthani kadhi etc. It is sweeter in taste and little thinner also.
Curd - 2 cups
Gram flour - 1/2 cup
Oil - 3 tbsp
Cumin Seed - 1 /2 tsp
Mustard Seeds - 1 /2 tsp
Fenugreek Seeds - 1 /2 tsp
Curry Leaves - 8
Asafoetida a pinch.
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Green Chilli - 2, finely chopped
Ginger - 1 inch
Salt to taste
Jaggery or sugar - 1 tsp
Dry Red Chilli - 2
Red Chilli Powder - 1/4 tsp
Coriander Leaves - 2 tbsp, finely chopped
1. Sieve the flour and add curd into it.
2. Whisk the batter well by adding 1 liter water into it.
3. Heat oil in a pan and temper the cumin seeds, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds in it on a low flame.
4. Once the cumin seeds and fenugreek are roasted well add asafoetida, turmeric powder, curry leaves, green chilli and ginger paste to it. Mix the masala well and roast with the spoon.
5. Pour the kadhi batter into the roasted masala and let it boil on a high flame. Stir the kadhi continuously while cooking it.
6. Once the kadhi starts to boil stop stirring it and add salt, coriander leaves, red chilli and sugar to it. Cook the kadhi on low flame for another 15 minutes.
7. Gujarati Kadhi is ready. Transfer it in a serving dish.
8. Now take a small pan and heat oil in it.
9. Temper the cumin seeds into it and turn off the flame followed by adding red chilli and red chilli powder in it.
10. Pour the tampering into the kadhi along with coriander leaves.
11. Serve the hot Gujarati Kadhi with naan, chapati or rice.
Tips for Gujarati Kadhi
Remember never to boil the kadhi on a high flame as it tends to curdle. Use sour curd or buttermilk for sourness which gives the authentic taste to Gujarati kadhi. Instead of adding sugar to Gujarati kadhi add some jaggery. It is a healthier option and it balances the sourness of curd. Kadhi is excellent home remedy for cough and cold. Make sure to add a little garlic if one is making this kadhi to reduce cold or cough.
(Last Updated on : 25-11-2015)
Recently Updated Articles in Indian Food
|• ||Bel Sherbet|
Bel Sherbet is a popular summer drink made using the pulp of bel fruit, also called wood apple. This fruit has natural cooling properties and also hydrates the body. The presence of vitamin C protects from infections and builds body immunity.
|• ||Sajana Phula Rai|
Sajana Phula Rai is a spicy dish from Odisha that can be served with rice or chapattis.
Sambharo is traditionally a Gujarati dish which is a quick stir fry made of cabbage and carrots. It is flavoured mildly with chillies and spices. It works as a side dish as well.
|• ||Sev Tameta Nu Shaak|
Sev Tameta Nu Shaak is a delicious recipe in Gujarati cuisine made from sev cooked in a tangy tomato gravy.
|• ||Kongunadu Cuisine|
Kongunadu cuisine constitutes the dishes of the region of Kongu situated in western part of Tamil Nadu. Kongunadu cuisine has the natural crops of the Kongu region as its main ingredients.