History of Beawar
Beawar was founded by Colonel Charles George Dixon (1795-1857) in 1836. Beawar was part of British India, and the administrative headquarters of Merwara district. Since the ancient days, the region where Beawar lies is called Magra-Merwaran, and it was named after a local village called Beawar Khas by the British. This region was ruled by fierce tribes such as the Kathat and Rawat Rajputs, British tried to subdue them but were unsuccessful because the tribes were scattered across many small villages and they were excellent in conducting guerrilla warfare. The battle of Shyamgarh was fought between the Kathats and British. The British won and Kathats abandoned the fort of Shyamgarh, but employed guerilla tactics causing great loss to the British. So British founded a military cantonment with fortified walls for protection and further military missions. Another factor involved in building the cantonment here was Beawar's location at the strategic tri-junction of the royal states of Jaipur, Udaipur, and Jodhpur Division. To keep the menace of Kathats and Rawat-Rajputs at bay, British raised a battalion, enrolling Kathats and Rawat-Rajputs and named it Magra-Merwara battalion. They used this battalion for further military missions which proved quite efficient. According to a legend, British posted a sign saying "be aware" as a warning to the caravans and officers of the British East India Company, leaving the cantonment or crossing the cantonment. Slowly with time the local people came to think of it as the name of the cantonment and so the cantonment began to be called Beawar.
Population of Beawar
According to the Population Census in the year 2001, the population of Beawar is 342,935.
Location of Beawar
Beawar is located 184 kilometres southwest of the state capital Jaipur, amidst Aravalli Mountain Ranges.
Economy of Beawar
Beawar is the city in Rajasthan once used to be a major centre of trade, especially in raw cotton, and used to have cotton presses and the cotton mills. Currently, major industries include mineral-based units, machine-based units, machine tools and accessories, pre-stressed concrete pipes, plastic products, textiles, wooden furniture and asbestos cement pipes. Beawar is the largest producer of cement in northern India. It lies in mineral-rich region having reserves of feldspar, quartz, asbestos, soapstone, magnesite, calcite, limestone, mica, emerald, granite, and masonry stone. Reserves of barytes, fluorite, wollastonite and vermiculite have also been found. Nearest airports are Jodhpur (145 km) and Jaipur (190 km).
Beawar is also connected by RSRTC operated buses to all parts of Rajasthan, and neighbouring Delhi NCR, Ahmedabad (Gujarat), Gwalior (Madhya Pradesh). It also had railway connectivity with Delhi, Mumbai, Ahmadabad, Bangalore (bi-weekly), Haridwar, Dehradun (weekly), Bareilly and Kolkata.
(Last Updated on : 14-09-2015)
|More Articles in Cities of Rajasthan (163)|