"Dhoka" is a shallow fried cake made from two types of lentils and then cooked in a curry with potato and very little spices is called "Dhokar Dalna". "Dalna", is a cooking term that means any vegetables cooked in medium thick gravy seasoned with ground spices, especially with Garam masala and a touch of ghee. The lightly spiced lentil cakes are fried and then simmered in a gravy made with tomatoes and ginger, spiced with cumin and coriander.
1. Wash and soak the chana dal overnight.
2. Grind it into a thick coarse paste with ginger, salt, green chilli and very little water.
3. Now keep a pan on fire and add 1 tbsp of oil.
4. When the oil turns hot, put 2 pinches of asafoetida and a few cumin seeds.
5. Wait till the cumin seeds pop.
6. Then put 1/3 of the ground paste into it.
7. Stir till the oil separates from the puree.
8. Now put the ground chana dal and stir continuously so that it does not stick to the pan.
9. Add some turmeric powder.
10. After the water evaporates and the whole mixture becomes semi-soft, turn off the stove and pour the mixture on to a greased plate.
11. Make the surface even with the hands.
12. Now let it cool.
13. Cut it into many diamond shaped pieces and deep fry them till golden brown.
1. Make a paste of ginger and tomatoes.
2. Cut potatoes into cubes.
3. Heat oil in a pan and add potatoes. Fry till brown.
4. In the same oil add bay leaf, cumin seeds and put the remaining ground paste.
5. Now add salt, turmeric, cumin, coriander and red chilli powder.
6. Add curd and stir it well.
7. After the mixture separates from the oil, add a bit of water, fried potatoes and bring to a boil.
8. Now before turning off the gas, add garam masala powder and ghee.
9. Now put the fried pieces into the curry and keep the vessel on fire for 5-7 minutes.
10. Serve with hot steaming rice.
|More Articles in West Bengal Cuisine (12)|