Early life of T R Baalu
T R Baalu was born on 15th June 1941 to father Raju Thevar at Thalikottai, Distt. Thiruvarur (Tamil Nadu). He obtained L.C.E Diploma (Engineering) from Central Polytechnic, He was educated at New College, Madras University, Chennai and Central Polytechnic, Chennai and obtains B.Sc., L.C.E.
Political Career of TR Baalu
T R Baalu?s political career started at a very early age of sixteen when he joined the DMK party. He became Secretary of Chennai City District unit of DMK in 1982. he has been jailed for more than 20 times during his political career for participating in demonstrations and agitations for public cause. T R Baalu was jailed under MISA for protesting against emergency for a year. In that juncture he came to limelight. In 1982, he became the Secretary, DMK of Chennai city District unit.
In the year 1986, T R Baalu was first elected to Parliament as a member of Rajya Sabha. He served his full term till 1992. In the year 1996, when he was elected to the Lok Sabha, was given the ministry of state for petroleum, natural gas and non-conventional energy sources. In 1998, 1999 and 2004 he was re-elected from the same constituency, the Chennai South. Baalu served as Cabinet Minister of Environment and Forests from 1999 to December 2003 and as Minister of Shipping and Road Transport and Highways from 2004 to 2009. Throughout his political career for participating in the agitations and demonstrations for public cause he has been jailed over 15 times. T R Baalu was arrested for protesting against the arrest of Karunanidhi midnight arrest on June 30 2001. He is presently the member of the fifteenth Lok Sabha. In addition, Baalu is Member of several Parliamentary Committees viz. Ethics Committee, House Committee and Consultative Committee of Ministry of Finance. He is also a Member of International World Affairs Council (IWAC).
The positions T R Baalu held are
* 1986-1992 : was elected as a Member, Rajya Sabha
* 1996:Elected to Lok Sabha (Eleventh) for the first time
* 1996-1998:Minister of State, Petroleum , Natural Gas and Non-Conventional Energy Sources
* 1998:Elected to Lok Sabha (Twelfth) for the second time
* 1999:Elected to Lok Sabha (Thirteenth) for the third time
* 1999-2003:Cabinet Minister, Environment and Forests
* 2004:Elected to Lok Sabha (Fourteenth) for the fourth time
* 2004 - 2009: T R Baalu became the Cabinet minister for Shipping, Road Transport & Highways.
* Elected to Lok Sabha (Fifteenth) for the fifth time from Sriperumbudur.
Personal Life of TR Baalu
He is married to Smt. T.R.B. Porkodi and the couple has three sons and two daughters.
|More Articles in Indian Politicians (106)|