It was before Indian Independence, Raigarh was counted amongst as the capital of the princely state of Raigarh. Raigarh has earned adequate distinction in regional history bounded by time due to 'Kosa' which is a kind of fine Silk created by the silk worm feeding on Kosa fruit. It is now a growing industrial hub for the steel market Ram Jharna is about 18 Kms from the District Head quarters of Raigarh. It has a natural water source. According to mythological sources and the history, Lord Rama was in this place during his Vanwas, and drunken water from the water source, giving it the name Ram Jharna.
Gomarda Reserve Forest is situated in Sarangarh Tehsil spread over an area of 278 Sq. Kms. A natural home for many rare wild animals like tigers, bears, etc, it is about 60 Km's. From the District Head Quarters of Raigarh, Maharaja Chakradhar Singh indulged in classical practice of artistry, being one of the Greatest Tabla Player and Dancer. He wrote many books on Music and Dance. He developed a new form of Kathak Dance and time-honoured Raigarh Gharana. Due to the efforts of Maharaja Chakradhar Singh, Raigarh became the cultural Capital of Chhattisgarh. A Samaroh of Raigarh is organised by Ustad Allaudin Khan Sangeet Academy and Chakradhar Lalit Kala Kendra, with the co-operation of District Administration to commemorate the memory of Great King and Musician Maharaja Chakradhar Singh.
Raigarh is a cultural city and is famous for Kathak dance and Indian Classical Music. Every year, on Ganesh Chaturthi, a festival named Chakradhar Festival; is prearranged in which music and dance exponents from all over India visit and display their art. This festival displays artistic skills of individuals from all over India.
Raigarh Fort marks the mystified aura of a magnificent hill fortress, situated in the Raigarh district of Maharashtra. Lying approximately 125 km away from Pune and serving as one of the major excursion of the city, the fort once served as the capital of Chhatrapati Shivaji, the Great Maratha king, in 1674. At that crucial paradigm shift only Shivaji was crowned the King of a Marathi kingdom. Perched at an altitude of 1350 m (4530 ft) above sea level, Raigarh fort falls under the Sahyadris Mountain range of India. It was the ruler who had detained grand fortress in his wilful moment of pleasure and then known as Rairi, from the Chandarrao Mores, a junior dynasty that had descended from Mauryan imperial dynasty. After taking over the Rairi Fort, Shivaji Maharaj got it absolutely renovated and renamed it as Raigarh (the King's Fort). One has to climb approximately 1400-1500 steps in order to reach the top of the forth. However those who desire to walk the entire way have the privilege of opting for ropeway, which has been built exclusively for the convenience of the guests.
The main structures inside the Raigarh Fort, which stands mostly in ruins, comprise of Queen's Quarters, Public Durbar, Watch Towers, Darwazas (gateways), etc. The Queen's Quarters consist of six chambers in toto, meant for the queen and her attendants. The main place situated inside the fort was largely constructed out of wood. However, apart from its base, made up of pillars, hardly anything else remains. One can also be witness to the ruins of the three watch towers, which were once used to spot any threat from a distance.
From the palace grounds, one can still visualise Takmak Tok, a cliff that served as the 'execution point' from which prisoners were thrown into the ravine below. The Public Darbar of the king today houses a replica of the original throne. The main doorway of the darbar, known as the Nagarkhana Darwaja, faces the throne. The secondary entrance was called the Mena Darwaja and was meant to provide private entrance to the royal ladies of the fort. It ultimately leads to the Queen's Quarters. The main entrance of the Raigarh Fort comprises of the Maha Darwaja, which is colossal and provided protection from the enemies. However, the king as well as his convoy used to move through the Palkhi Darwaja. The three dark and deep chambers, situated to right of the Palkhi Darwaja, are believed to have served as the granaries of the fort. One of the main attractions of the Raigad Fort is a magnificent statue of Chhatrapati Shivaji, sited opposite the ruins of the main market avenue. The Tomb of Shivaji and his dog Waghya is situated near the avenue only.
(Last Updated on : 14-09-2013)