St. Paul's Cathedral
One of the famous churches of West Bengal is St. Paul's Cathedral. It is an Anglican cathedral and a part of the Anglican Communion of Kolkata. The construction of the building was started by Bishop Daniel Wilson in the year 1839 and was completed in 1847. The architecture of the church in Gothic Revival style bestows immense elegance to it making it an attractive monument for the tourists from all over the world. The church was consecrated in the year 1874.
St. Andrews Church
St. Andrews Church is another dignified kirk in the state. The construction of the church was supervised by the wife of Marquess of Hestings, Maria Imhoff. The church follows the Presbyterian form of worship. It has been declared by the Kolkata Municipal Corporation as a Grade I Heritage Building.
Osmond Memorial Church
Situated in Kolkata, West Bengal, the church enlists itself among the famous monuments of the state. Built in the year 1868 by Walter Osmond who was a Methodist minister, the church was earlier known as Wesleyan Methodist Church. Walter Osmond came to Kolkata with the aim of serving the distressed and poor people of the city. The church was named as Osmond Memorial Church in the honour of the founder of the church who contributed 30 years of his life in service of the poor people of Kolkata.
Church of the Lord Jesus
Church of the Lord Jesus, situated at Taltala, Kolkata, is a Catholic church. It was earlier a Church of Scotland following Presbyterian form of worship. Before 2005, the church was a 'public oratory' which was later converted to a parish of the Archdiocese of Calcutta. Most of the religious activities celebrated in this church are in Bengali language.
St. Thomas Church
A renowned Roman Catholic Church of the state is St. Thomas's Church. The church building has been designed in colonial style. It is situated in Park Street, Kolkata. Before the funeral, Mother Teresa had laid in this church for about a week in September 1997.
St. John's Church
When Kolkata became the capital of British India, the first public building established by East India Company was St. John's Church. It was originally a cathedral, the construction of which started in 1784 and completed in 1787. The fund for this church was raised through a public lottery. It ranks third among the oldest churches of India. Maharaja Nabo Kishen Bahadur who founded the Shovabazar Raj Family donated the land for this church. In 1784 the Governor General of India, Warren Hastings laid the foundation stone. These two historic events are recorded on two marble plaques placed at the entrance of the church. The architecture of the church building includes some of the most beautiful structures including elegant plaques, statues, stained glass windows etc.
St. James' Church
St. James' Church is also located in Kolkata. The building has one of the most admiring architecture. In the year 1862 the Lieutenant-Governor of Bengal laid the foundation stone of the church.
Armenian Church of the Holy Nazareth
Armenian Church of the Holy Nazareth is situated at Barabazar, Kolkata. It is an Armenian Apostolic church and is known as the "Mother Church of the Indian Armenians". The interior of the church is adorned with marble. There is a gallery in the church which is decorated with paintings and inset frescoes.
Bandel Church is one of the most ancient churches of West Bengal. It reminds of the Portuguese settlement in India. The church was built in the year 1660. The prominent features of the church include a shrine to Mary, three altars, an organ and several tombstones.
Christianity in touched in India ages ago and Churches of West Bengal are the living testaments of the growth and spread of this religion in the country. Through years these monuments have been preserved and maintained. Today, apart from being the religious centre of Christians, these churches also enrich the national and historical heritage of India.
|More ArticlesChurches of West Bengal (6)|
Churches of West Bengal