History of Sudhagad Fort
Sudhagad Fort is believed to be built in the 2nd century B.C. It was initially known as Bhrorapgad and was named after the Goddess Bhoraidevi. The rulers of the Bahamani Sultanate captured the fortification in 1436. It was eventually conquered by the army of the Martha Empire in 1657. During this period, the fort was renamed as Sudhagad. Chatrapati Shivaji Maharaj, the founder of the Maratha Empire, considered Sudhagad Fort as one of the most significant forts of his kingdom as it was spread over a large area. The Pantsachivas of Bhor were appointed as the keepers of this fort during the reign of the Peshwas.
The fortress remained unoccupied after the annexation of princely states of India under British Empire in India in the year 1950. Consequently, the structure lies in a state of disrepair.
Architecture of Sudhagad Fort
Sudhagad Fort includes 2 Hindu temples that are devoted to Lord Shiva. These temples are presently in a ruined state. There is another temple dedicated to Bhoraidevi, the patron goddess of the fort, which is still intact. Apart from these, there are a few tombs, a house, a shrine, a large granary and two lakes on the plateau at the top. There are several other ruined buildings located in the vicinity of the fortress. There is also a secret tunnel in the premise of the fort which was used for emergency escape during enemy attacks.
Sudhagad Fort consists of three prime entrances. The largest gateway is known as Maha Darwaza. The fortress provides a panoramic view of the territory and the forts of Taila Baila, Dhangad, Korigad and Sarasgad are clearly visible from the top.
Present Condition of Sudhagad Fort
At present, Sudhagad Fort has become a popular tourist destination and also attracts several trekkers from across the country. The site is among the most well maintained fortresses in the state of Maharashtra. Presently the site is owned by the Government of India.
|More Articles in Monuments of Maharashtra (104)|