Architecture of Basilica of the Holy Redeemer
The Basilica of the Holy Redeemer has been well adorned with beautiful oil paintings. These depict about the biographies of various saints and incidents that are associated with the life of Jesus Christ. These pictures have been drawn by Brother D Irudhaya Raj. He was a student of the seminary of this church. He could not be ordained because of illness. In the year 1881 the 'Big Bell' was contributed by Judge Woodroofe. It is the second biggest bell in Tamil Nadu. The construction of the church began in the year 1846. Here the chief attraction is the 'Sagayamatha' - Mother of Perpetual Help Basilica. She is highly venerated with enthusiasm in South India.
It is a big roofed hall built for business purposes and to carry out other legal matters. They had interior colonnades were used to separate the space. There were aisles or arcaded spaces at one or both sides. The main aisle was usually wide and built in a higher position in comparison to the other flanking aisles. It was done to allow light pass through the windows inside the church. It is the oldest known basilica that was built in Trichy by Cato. He wished to draw the attention of the English Catholic soldiers hence he built a temporary church to receive them. It could hold up about 2,000 persons. In the year1846 in the month of October he was officially appointed. He then began expanding the church by 192 in length and 55 in breadth and he added an arm of the cross of 30 feet. Later in the year 1911, the arms of the cross had been further enlarged twofold. It was done to provide sufficient space to the worshipers. The bishop's seat here faces the Cathedral. An Art Parish Priest as well as a house for parish priest is situated beside the Cathedral. A stage has been built stage on the northern side of the cathedral. This stage is used for staging dramas and functions.
The Holy Redeemers Cathedral having being built in 1881 celebrated its 128th anniversary in June in 2009.
Bishops of Tiruchirapalli Diocese
Since its construction the church had many bishops that have been listed below:
* Bishop Alex Canoz 1846-1888
* Bishop John Barth 1888-1913
* Bishop Augustine Felsandier 1913-1936
* Bishop John Peter Leonard 1936-1938
* Bishop James Mendonsa 1938-1970
* Bishop Thomas Fernando 1971-1990
* Bishop Lawrence Gabreal 1990-1997
* Rev.Fr.Vincent Mathias (administrator) 1997-1999
* Bishop Peter Fernodo 2000-2001
* Bishop Anthony Devota 2001-Present
Social work of Basilica of the Holy Redeemer
Some of the major contributions made by the Basilica of the Holy Redeemer are:
It was built by Kollacudi Susaiyapillai for providing food for the poor people.
Tailoring Training Center
It was started in the year 1966 and imparted training to almost 200 women.
Schools and Institutions
First a school was started in the year 1880 for the girls. Later a secondary school was also started. In 1884 i.e. four years later, another school was stated for boys.
Trichy Catholic Club (TCC)
It is a club for the retired people.
Sagaya Matha Makkal Mandram
The Mandram began in the year 1978 by Rev. Fr. M. Arulanatham. Marriages and other social functions are conducted here for a small fee.
|More Articles in Churches in India (93)|