History of Church of Cross of Miracle
In 1619, a church was established to house the Cross of Miracles. However, the church did not last long. The church was reconstructed in 1674 on the same place. The Convent which existed there served as the congregation of the Oratory of Philip Neri of Goa. In 1835, the Church and the convent were closed down. The Cross of Miracle was then moved to Se Cathedral in 1845 in the heart of Old Goa. It is still present there in one of the chapels. In spite of it being in dilapidated state, the church still serves as one of the most popular tourist destinations in Goa.
Architecture of Church of Cross of Miracle
The architectural work of the church resembles to that of medieval Europe. The Church of Cross of Miracle is built of laterite and plastered with lime mortar. The Convent and the Church of the Cross of Miracle was erected in the Renaissance and Gothic architectural pattern. This style and model of architecture is typical to the Portuguese that they followed it during the 16th century. The church actually had a simple structure. The building earlier had many cells but now only few of them can be seen. The church also had a single storied convent.
The interior of the Church reflects the Mosaic Corinthian style. The walls of the church feature illustrated scenes from the holy Bible. There is a sacristy along with a belfry at the northern corner of the main altar. The frescoes on the walls are adorned with beautiful floral designs. The altar of St. Francis is a highly decorated one and it reflects the Corinthian Baroque touch.
(Last Updated on : 04-06-2015)
|More Articles in Churches and Convents of Goa (21)|