History of Shri Mahimpur Teerth
According to history Shri Mahimpur Teerth dates back to the ancient times. Shri Mahimpur Teerth is one of the five temples of West Bengal that holds great importance. The place was setup in the beginning of the 18th century. The place was resided by many rich shravakas. A rich merchant Sheth Shri Mahatabraiji was bestowed the title of Jagat Sheth in the year 1805 of the Vikram Samvat Era. He is credited with constructing a beautiful temple of stone tested abroad. However, it was shifted as it was located near a river that often got flooded. The descendants of the king later built the new temple in the year 1875 of the Vikram Samvat Era. They ceremoniously reinstalled the idol of Lord Padmaprabha. Jagat Sheth is also said to have renovated the teerth of Samet Shikharji. For his religious contributions he was highly praised and honoured in the royal court.
The idol of Bhagawan Adishvar is believed to possess miraculous powers. Devotees from far off places visit the temple to offer their prayers. It is believed that if prayed with all devotion the Lord fulfils the wishes of the pilgrims.
Temple of Shri Mahimpur Teerth
The temple of Shri Mahimpur Teerth houses the idol of Lord Parshvanatha. The temple has been magnificently decorated with intricate artistic designs. The creative temple work boast about the skills of the craftsmen. The idol of the Lord is black in colour and is seated in a padmasana posture. The idol has been beautifully carved from a single stone and looks very appealing. The smiling face of the Lord looks very calm and serene. Apart from this there is another temple dedicated to Shamaliya Parshvanatha. Attractive pinnacles adorn the beauty of this temple. The idol of the Lord is made of tested stone. It is only idol in India that is made of tested stone. Other than this there are idols of Lord Sumatinath and Lord Neminath. These idols also look spectacular and enhance the beauty of the temple.
The Temple of Shri Mahimpur Teerth organises many annual gatherings and functions. There are provisions for dharamshalas or rest houses for the pilgrims. These are well equipped with all modern facilities. Apart from this there are Upashrays, an Ayambilshala and a Jnanabhandar. The temple being located on the confluence of the three holy rivers is enclosed by scenic beauty that enthrals and fascinates the pilgrims. The calm and tranquil environment and the surrounding greenery make it a suitable place for religious activities. The kshetra is well connected to road, rail and air. Taxi services and bus services are easily available here. The nearest railway station is located at Allahabad which is at a distance of 64 kilometers. The nearest railway station of Jiyaganj and Murshidabad are at a distance of 4 kilometers.
|More Articles in Jain Pilgrimages in India (298)|