She received her Kathak training under Pandit Birju Maharaj, Sm. Bela Arnab, Sm. Ram Mohan Mishra, Rajendra Gangani, Bandana Sen, Smt. Susmita Mishra and Pandit Vijai Shankar.
She trained Kathakali under Guru Govindan and Odissi under Guru Muralidhar Majhi. She received her lessons in folk dance under Sm. Arati Majumdar, and Ram Gopal Bhattacharya taught her Pandit Uday Shankar style of dancing. She trained under Kalanidhi Narayan for Satvik Abhinaya. Pandit Birju Maharaj, Ram Gopal Bhattacharya and Santi Bose taught her the art of choreography.
Apart from solo renditions, Amita has been continuously experimenting with new choreographic technique. She has staged a number of successful productions including Nazrul nana Chande, Biswa Beena Robey, Durga, Chitra Jhankar, East West Encounter, Joyodhwani, Amrapali, Varsha and Basant-Bahar.
Amita is a multi dimensional character, apart from being a prolific dancer; she is also a scholar, choreographer, danseuse and professor. Her main aim remains to popularize her dance and she has never turned down an opportunity to spread the message of her art at home or abroad.
She did her masters in English from University of Calcutta, and even taught in the same university during the later years of her life.
Presently, Amita Dutt is Uday Shankar Professor at Rabindra Bharati University, Kolkata. She is the head of dance department for the same university.
She has over the years been a contributor for many magazines and newspapers like The Statesman, Aajkaal, Bartaman, Sananda etc. Apart from being a columnist she has also performed regularly for Doordarshan since 1981. She has also performed in many international TV Channels as well.
Performances at Major Dance Festivals:
* 2004: Baishakhi Festival, Habitat Centre, New Delhi
* 2004: Balasore Vikas Mahotsav, Orissa
* 2003: Uday Shankar Festival, Rabindra Sadan, Kolkata
* 2003: Bengali Cultural Festival, Nehru Centre, Mumbai.
* 2003: Burdwan Vasant Utsav Dance Festival.
* 2002: Burdwan Vasant Utsav Dance Festival.
* 2002: Govt. of India & Indian Museum Vasanta Utsav.
* 2001: Kathak Dance Festival of the West Bengal State Music Academy, Kolkata.
* 2001: Dance Drama Festival of Govt. of West Bengal, Kolkata.
* 2000: Biswa Bangla Sammelan Millennium Festival, Kolkata.
* 2000: Uday Shankar Festival, Siliguri.
* 1999: American Dance Festival, Durham. USA.
* 1997: Rajgir Dance Festival, Bihar.
* 1996: Tripura Tourism Festival, Agartala.
* 1996: North American Bengali Conference, Houston. USA
* 1995: Andaman Festival, Port Blair.
* 1994: Utsav Mahakaleshwar, Ujjain, Madhya Pradesh.
* 1994: North American Bengali Conference, Chicago. USA
* 1993: Konark Festival, Orissa.
* 1993: Nritya Nitya Utsav, Chaudaya Memorial Hall, Bengaluru.
* 1992: First South Asian Music Festival of SAARC Countries.
* 1991: Kathak Mahotsav of Jaipur Kathak Kendra.
* 1990: Sambalpur Festival, Orissa.
* 1988: Sarat Chandrika Festival of Kathak Kendra, New Delhi.
* 1982: Khajuraho Dance Festival, Madhya Pradesh.
Official Government Functions:
* 1997: Golden Jubilee of Indian Independence, Patna.
* 1990: Autumn Festival, Darjeeling. Performed before Sri R. Venkataraman, President of India
* 1985: Independence Day State Function, Kolkata.
* 1981: Silver Jubilee of the Government of Madhya Pradesh.
Performances at Academic Institutions:
* 2003: Wright State University, USA
* 2003: University of Delaware, USA
* 2003: Jadavpur University, Kolkata
* 2003: Rabindra Bharati University, Kolkata.
* 2003: Mahraja Shiyaji University, Baroda
* 2002: Viswa Bharati University, Santiniketan.
* 2002: Burdwan University, West Bengal.
* 2001: Rabindra Bharati University, Kolkata.
* 2000: Rabindra Bharati University, Kolkata.
* 1999: Duke University, American Dance Festival. USA.
* 1998: Government Sanskrit College, 175th Anniversary, Kolkata.
* 1996: Arizona State University, Phoenix. USA.
* 1996: Cleveland State University, Cleveland. USA.
* 1995: Imperial College, University of London.
* 1993: Lal Bahadur Shastri Administrative Training Institute.
* 1993: Presidency College, 175th Anniversary.
* 1990: Jabalpur Medical College.
* 1989: Jawaharlal Medical College, Belgaum.
* 1988: University of Central Florida.
* 1988: Columbia University, New York.
* 1986: University of Budwan Convocation.
* 1986: University of North Bengal Convocation.
* 1986: Indian School of Mines, Diamond Jubilee, Dhanbad.
* 1984: Asiatic Society, Bi-Centenary.
* 1983: Calcutta University, 125th Anniversary.
* 1981: Indira Kala Sangit Vishwa Vidyalaya, MP.
* 1980: Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, London.
Performances at Academic Conferences:
* 2004: International Conference on Statistics, Kolkata.
* 2003: University Grants Commission Golden Jubilee Conference
* 2003: USCON, Kolkata (Ultra Sound Conference)
* 2002: IATO, Kolkata. (Indian Association of Tour Operators)
* 2001: OPTHACON, Kolkata. (Ophthalmology Conference)
* 2000: IRACON, Kolkata.
* 1999: Medicine for the Millennium, Kolkata.
* 1999: Platinum Jubilee Conference of the Indian Chemical Society, Kolkata.
* 1999: EMW-2000. Jamshedpur.
* 1995: 82nd Science Congress, Kolkata
* 1991: United Nations Conference on Environment, New Delhi.
* 1991: World Conference on Total Quality, New Delhi.
* 1991: 45th Joint Conference Association of the Physicians of India, Jabalpur.
* 1989: ISELDECS'87, IIT, Kharagpur.
* 1987: 9th Congress of the Association of Radiation Oncologists, Srinagar.
* 1987: 47th Annual Conference of the Indian Society of Agricultural Economics.
* 1987: R&D Conference of the Institute of Engineers, Ranchi.
* 1984: Diamond Jubilee Conference of the Indian Chemical Society, Kolkata.
Awards and Honours Received by Amita Dutt:
* 1981: Title of Singar Mani conferred by the Sur Singar Samsad, Bombay.
* 1982: Dishari Award for Best Dancer of the Year adjudged by All India Critics' Association
* 1983: Honoured by Bangiya Pandit Parishad
* 1983: Honoured by IISCLO, Benaras.
* 1983: Award by Sanskriti Parishad, Durgapur.
* 1985: Award by Michael Madhusudan Dutt
* 1987: Title of Nritya Urvashi conferred by the Punjab Nritya Academy, Patiala.
* 1987: Honoured by Saikat, San Diego, USA.
* 1987: Honoured by the Moscow News Club.
* 1989: Citation for Outstanding service from District Governor Shyamal Datta of RI Dist. 329.
* 1989: Indo-Soviet Maitree award.
* 1989: Michael Madhusudan Dutta Memorial award.
* 1994: Mahakal Sanman by Madhuban, Ujjain.
* 1989: Citation for Outstanding Service from District Governor Kamal Seth of RI Dist. 329.
* 1989: Citation for Outstanding Service from District Governor L.R.Vasudeva of RI Dist. 307.
* 1994: Honoured by the Moscow News Club.
* 1994: Citation by Nupur Jhankar, Ontario, Canada.
* 1994: Outstanding Young Person of Calcutta, awarded by the North Calcutta Jaycees.
* May 15, 1994: The day was proclaimed Amita Dutt Day in the city of Cincinnati, USA. The Mayor presented a Certificate for Outstanding Contribution in the field of International Understanding through the Arts and presented the Key to the City of Cincinnati thereby proclaiming the recipient an Honorary Citizen.
* 1994: Citation at the North American Bengali Conference, Chicago.
* 1996: Citation at the North American Bengali Conference, Houston.
* 1996: Dishari Award for Best Dancer of the Year.
* 1998: Outstanding Citizen of Calcutta conferred by the English Speaking Union on the occasion of the 308 th Birthday of Calcutta. (Other two recipients: Ajoy Chakraborty & Ananda Shankar).
* Nov. 28, 1998: Conferred title of Nrityanandan for life-long achievement in dance by Suranandan Bharati: Rathindra Mancha, Calcutta.
* 2000: Felicitated for life-long achievement and contribution in the field of Kathak by Nrityam Shikshayatan.
* Jan. 15, 2001: Felicitated for life-long achievement by the Rabindra Bharati Soiety, Kolkata. Chief Guest: H.E. Sri Viren J. Shah, Governor of West Bengal: Rathindra Mancha, Kolkata.
* Feb. 3, 2001: Awarded Nritya Sagar Title by Surabharati Sangeet Parishad, Kolkata.
* May 2001: Felicitated by Braja Sundari Mahila Samity.
* Feb 2002: Felicitated by Angana, Kolkata.
* March 2002: Awarded title of Jewel of Bengal by Rotary Club of Calcutta, Victoria.
* April 2002: Vocational excellence award given by Rotary Clubs of Bhowanipur, Lansdowne and Cossipore.
* August 2002: Vocational excellence award given by Rotary Club of Narendrapur.
|More Articles in Indian Dancers (42)|