In the year 1762, when the political power of Zamorin over the area of Cochin finally concluded, the ruler of Cochin started seizing a majority of temples which were ruled by the Nairs and Namboodiris and they were said to be favourable inclined towards the Zamorin. The properties of Yogaathiri (with Nampoothiri trustees) and 'Ooraalaars' (Nair trustees) were confiscated. The temples managed by them came under the administrative control of the state. The royal Government had captured most of the local temples present in Cochin and they were all transferred to the newly developed Devaswoms which had acknowledged the sovereignty of the king and also the deity. Travancore governments since then implemented a policy of slow annexations of private temples and their assets and forming Devaswoms for each temple.
Colonel Munroe, who was appointed in 1812 as Diwan of the Cochin and Travancore kingdoms recommended that all Devaswom properties be treated as government properties. He also made it a rule that the revenue which would be generated from Devaswom must be counted as the general revenues of the entire state. All such regulations were freely accepted by the Maharajas of the region of Cochin and also Travancore, and a separate committee was created in the year 1815 to analyze its characteristics. A royal decree was passed during the reign of Gowri Parvati Bayi wherein a Devaswom Board was developed and a majority of the local temples of Travancore were transferred to its control. They declared their loyalty to the Travancore Devaswom Board.
Following a detained study of 179 Devaswoms and 309 Devaswoms of Cochin were categorized as 'Sarkkar Devaswoms'. As many as 61 Devaswoms were returned back to Ooraalaars and yet series of 61 were categorized as 'Vazhipaat Devaswoms'. The above action was an important step by the State Government. Consequently, the lands of the temples were acquired by the State and they were empowered to infringe in the administration of temples. Of these temples, 179 temples were referred to as 'incorporated Devaswoms' and 24 were known as 'Keezhetams'. The Sarkkar confiscated more temples owing to poor temple management by the Ooralaars or some or the other pretext. Every Devaswom was termed as 'unincorporated Devaswom'. The Government started controlling the management of the Devaswoms which were not supervised efficiently, according to the Cochin Hindu Religious Institutions Act of 1896. These organizations came to be known as 'assumed Devaswoms'.
A distinct Devaswom Department was created in the year 1897 under all the registered and non-registered Devaswoms which were all governed by a superintendent. In 1907, they were all joined together and much later a common trust fund was developed following an amendment of 1916. On 1st November, 1926, the head of the department of Travancore and Cochin were offered the posts of commissioner. The administrative power of the Devaswoms present in the state of Cochin slipped into the administration of the Cochin Devaswom Board or CDB which was developed on 1st August, 1949. Both the groups of Devaswoms were brought under the Board by the Travancore - Cochin Hindu Religious Institutions Act of 1950. The Board was reorganized on 16th June, 1950. The temples which are the recipients of grants and funds from Devaswom Boards which are controlled by different states are termed as 'Vazhipaat Devaswoms'.