The place offers panoramic view of the snow covered hills and the green forests, and welcomes large number of visitors every year. Kanatal is situated at a distance of 300 km from Delhi at a height of 8500 feet. By virtue of natural and serene beauty of the place, Kanatal attracts many tourists every year.
History of Kanatal
Years back there existed a lake by the name of Kanatal, but the lake does not exists anymore. To make the name memorable, the place has been henceforth called as Kanatal. Surkanda Devi Temple, dedicated to Sati, is located in Kanatal. It is perched at a height of 9995 feet above sea level, and one can get a 360 degree view from the top of the temple. It is located 8 km on the road towards Mussoorie to Kaddukhal. One has to trek 2 km on foot to the little temple. Ponies are also available here.
The place is well known for its beautiful sights and mesmerizing beauty, verdant forests, tranquil weather and invigorating winds. Kanatal offers the perfect getaway from Delhi. It is a small little town from Mussoorie which is relatively unfamiliar to the outside world. The place is easily accessible by road, air or even by train, and is a perfect retreat from the hustle and bustle of the city life. Kanatal is the perfect place to have a word with nature in its clean and pious form, as it offers a sense of calmness to the tourists.
Climate of Kanatal
The place has relaxing and pleasant weather right though the year and is the perfect example for a lovely weekend getaway from the maddening heat, humidity and pollution of the city life. The temperature here hovers around 10-20 degree Celsius during the summer months. During winters the place offers an astounding look with snow covered peaks and temperature falling below 8 degree Celsius.
Tourism of Kanatal
Kanatal offers an array of activities to the visiting tourists and some of the things that you can look to get involved are a walk through the lush green meadows, having a picnic, lazing in the sun, playing cards or chess, doing meditation or yoga, writing poems, reflecting on provoking thoughts, photography and travelling to some nearby sights. The place is tranquil and does not posses the hustle and bustle of city life. While at Kanatal one can also plan a trip to close by places - Dehradun, Dhanaulti, Chamba, Mussoorie etc. Some of the other popular places are as follows;
* Tehri Dam - The Tehri Dam located at New Tehri is quite well-known. This dam is constructed on the confluence of Bhilangana and Bhagirathi River and make for an attractive visit. The Pant Research Institute, at New Tehri, where various kinds of fruits and plants are grown is also a popular place to visit.
* Kodia Jungle - This place is a popular picnic spot located just a kilometre away on the road towards Chamba. A walk of 6 to 8 km will see thick forests, suddenly opening up into a vast area of undulating valleys and hills. Tiny and gurgling natural springs come along the way and offer a welcome viewing experience.
* Mussoorie - Mussoorie is located at a distance of 37 km from Kanatal, and is referred to as the Queen of the Hills. When in Mussoorie, one can indulge in lots of activities. Kempty falls is a popular tourist destination. The place is packed with restaurants, gaming arenas and tiny local shops.
* Chamba - It is located at a distance of 16 km from Kanatal. Chamba is untamed and untouched by the vices of globalization and urbanisation. Located at a height of 1600 meters above sea level, this place offers calmness more than Mussoorie and offers an opportunity spend a relaxing and rejuvenating time.
* Dhanaulti - Situated at a distance of 30 km from Mussoorie and 12 km from Kanatal, Dhanaulti is a nice place which has so far remained unaffected by commercialisation. Trekking activities are quite popular here. Roads to Dhanaulti are good and this can be a place worth visiting.
* Shivpuri - This place is located at a distance of 75 km from Kanatal and close of Rishikesh. Shivpuri offers the opportunity rafting.
|More Articles in Tourism In Uttarakhand (47)|