History of Nani Daman Fort
The construction of the fort was started by the Portuguese in the year 1614 AD. It took over fifty years for the construction work which was completed in 1672 AD. This fort was started by the 12th Portuguese Viceroy of India, Dom Jeronimo de Azevado it got completed in the time of Dom Franciso de Gama, the 20th Viceroy of Portuguese Empire in India. The fort is named after St. Jerome one of the most respected priests of the Catholic Church. After a severe war with the Mughals this fort was built to accommodate the dislodged Portuguese families and to recover the damages faced during the war. Along with its historical background the fort is mainly marked by the splendid architecture and its scenic beauty which is enjoyed by all those who visit the area. It has elegantly laid out high stone walls.
Architecture of Nani Daman Fort
Nani Daman Fort is surrounded by high stone walls which surrounds an area of 12,250 sq. metres. Although it is a small fort but it features 3 bastions and 2 main gates which define the architecture of the Portuguese. It is said that the most attractive and enthralling part of this fort is the mammoth gateways face the river with huge statues of St Jerome and 2 gigantic statues of human figure. Apart from the attractive statues the fort also includes the impressive church of "Our Lady of the Sea" and "Our Lady of Remedies" Church which is leaded by the 2 splendid panels.
There are a few old stone steps located all around the fort that leads to the top of the fort. It takes not more than 10-12 steps to reach the top of the fort. At the top of the fort is a path way broad enough for two people to walk. This path way goes all around the fort and the view of the sun set from here is splendid.
Inside the fort is a big ground where people come to play cricket and football in the evenings. There is a fish market below the fort nearby which, neatly anchored fishing boats can be seen. An old cemetery is located just next to these churches.
Nearby Places to Visit at Nani Daman Fort
After sightseeing the wonderful Nani Daman Fort one can also pay visits to the nearby attractions of the region. In close proximity to the fort of St. Jerome are a couple more attractions - the Gandhi Park and Shri Satya Narayan Temple. A lighthouse is situated in Nani Daman, which provides a beautiful view of sunset and the Daman Ganga River Bridge. Tourists can also visit the old Jain Temple located within Nani Daman, which features 18th century glass murals and paintings.
Thus Nani Daman Fort is one of the splendid structures of the Daman and Diu. Surrounded with a number of attractive sights it reflects the colonial rule of the Portuguese. This has been a major attraction among the tourists who enjoy the splendid architecture of the fort and its scenic beauty. The region of Nani Daman consists of the Light House, Nani Daman fort, churches that are constructed in Gothic style. Nani Daman region is home to wide roadways, historical buildings and gardens which captivates the eye of every traveller.