Tirunallam Temple is the 34th in the series of Tevara Stalams located south of the river Kaveri. Worship offered here on Tuesdays and Fridays is considered special. Shiva is called Umaikkunallaar in the Tevaram hymns.
Legends: Bhumidevi was instructed by Mahavishnu to build this temple, hence the name Bhumiswaram. It is also believed that a Pururava king was cured of leprosy here, and in return gilded the temple vimanam with gold, and instituted the Vaikasi full moon festival.
Temple: Images of Gandaraditya Chola and Sembian Mahadevi including inscriptions are found in this temple. These images are a 1000-years-old. Sembiyan Mahadevi provided for the upkeep of the temple and for the daily rituals. This temple is also known as Gandaradittam. The inscriptions offer an insight into the various sections of society involved in the daily activities of the temple. The temple faces the west and has beautiful
niche images of Nataraja, Dakshinamurthy, Lingodbhavar, Ardhanareeswarar. The mukhamandapam in front of the sanctum is known as Pugazhaabarana mandapam. Bronze images of Natarajar, Kalyanasundarar date back to the 10th century. This is regarded as a fully developed early Chola temple and is well preserved, and has a fine collection of bronze images.
Festivals: This temple has 21 vaahanams used during festivals. The annual Bhrammotsavam in Vaikasi, Kartikai Deepam, Arudra Darisanam, Sivaratri, Aadi Pooram, Navaratri and Skanda Sashti are the festivals celebrated here.
(Last Updated on : 05-12-2015)