Parasites enter the human body through contaminated food or water, transmitting agents like mosquitoes, sexual contact and even via nose and skin. Other common causes include poor hygiene, exposure to areas known to have parasites, weak immune system and eating raw and undercooked meat.
Diet Therapy for Intestinal Worms
The patient should be kept on an exclusive diet of fresh fruits for 5 to 7 days. Subsequently he may take on a well balanced light diet consisting mainly of fruits, vegetables, milk and whole meal bread. The diet should keep out fatty foods such as butter, cream and oil, refined foods and all flesh foods. This dietary should be continued till the parasites are totally eliminated.
In some cases, depending on the improvement being made, the all fruit diet may have to be repeated at regular intervals. In persistent cases the patient should resort to short fasts on raw fruit and vegetable juices. This fast has to be of a comparatively long duration in case of tapeworms. At the time of the all fruit diet or fasting period, the bowels should be cleansed on a daily basis with the tepid water enema.
Home Remedies for Intestinal Worms
There are numerous home remedies found advantageous in the treatment of intestinal worms, some of them are as follows:
1. The use of coconut is most successful. It is an ancient therapy for expelling all kinds of intestinal worms. A tablespoon of the freshly ground coconut should be taken at breakfast followed by a dose of castor oil after 3 hours. The procedure may be repeated till the treatment is complete.
2. Garlic has been used for expelling intestinal worms from ancient times. Both fresh garlic and its oil are effective. An ancient technique of its medication was to place a couple of cloves of fresh garlic in its shoe. As the person walks, it is crushed and the garlic oil is absorbed by the skin and carried by blood into the intestines as it possesses the powerful penetrative force. This method is worth a trial by those who do not like the taste of garlic and cannot eat it.
3. The carrot is valuable in the elimination of threadworms from children as it is offensive to all parasites. A small cup of grated carrot taken every morning, with no other food added to the meal, can clear these worms rapidly.
4. The digestive enzyme in the milk juice of the unripe papaya is a potent anthelmintic for destroying roundworms.
5. Papaya seeds are very useful medicine for expelling roundworms.
6. The bark, both of the root and the stems of pomegranate tree, is well known for its anthelmintic properties of destroying parasitic worms.
7. The seeds of the ripe pumpkin are useful in intestinal worms, in particular tapeworms. A mixture, prepared from the seeds after they are peeled and crushed, will kill parasites and help in expelling the tapeworm.
8. It will be essential to fast for a day and empty the intestines by taking the juice of boiled dry prunes. The next day, 3 or 4 tumblers of this pumpkin seed infusion should be taken.
9. Leaves of bamboo are very beneficial in destroying intestinal worms especially, threadworms. A decoction should be made using the leaves and consumed regularly for better results.
10. Turmeric is an excellent home remedy for intestinal worms. Dry powder or juice of turmeric mixed in buttermilk or water is highly beneficial for intestinal problem, especially chronic diarrhoea.
Naturopathy and Diseases
Treatment of Intestinal Worms
(Last Updated on : 26-07-2016)
|More Articles in Naturopathy and Diseases (100)|