Andaman and Nicobar Islands have several monuments that reflect the struggle, art, brutality, and existence of the British invasion. The chief monuments of Andaman and Nicobar are Chatham Saw Mill, Cellular Jail and Viper Chain Gang Jail.
Monuments of Andaman and Nicobar
The group of islands is dotted with historical monuments in places like Port Blair, Ross Island and Viper Island. Following are the famous monuments of this island:
The Cellular Jail , especially recognized as the 'Kala Pani', was started in 1896 and the construction was completed in 1906. It has seven wings and in the centre there is a tower. This tower was used by the guards to maintain a watch on the prisoners. There is also a bell on the tower which worked as an alarm.
Viper Chain Gang Jail
The Viper Chain Gang Jail is situated in the small Viper Island in the district of Andaman and Nicobar Islands. The Viper Chain Gang Jail at Andaman and Nicobar Islands bears evidence of the suffering of the freedom fighters during the Indian war for independence. The Viper Chain Gang Jail in Andaman and Nicobar Islands was founded by the British.
Situated at Phoenix Bay, it exhibits the life of the Paleolithic Islanders while Aquarium or Fisheries Museum shows species of marine life unusual to the islands.Zoological Survey of India Museum exhibit a good range of sponges, corals, butterflies and centipedes while Forest Museum at Haddo offers a glimpse into forest activities through scale models and displays pretty wood pieces made up of Padauk, Marble, Peauma, Gurjan and Satin Wood.
Chatham Saw Mill
The Chatham Saw Mill is situated in Chatham Island of Andaman and Nicobar Islands in India. It was set up in 1883 with the primary objective to meet the local requirements of saw and timber for the constructional works. It is Asias largest and oldest saw mill, owned by the state government.
Aberdeen Clock tower
Aberdeen Clock tower is located in the center of a busy marketplace in Port Blair. It was built in the memory of Indian and British soldiers who defended the islands during World War I. It is a very simple, bright yellow, obelisk shaped clock tower. People normally use this as a good meeting point. All the 4 clocks on the tower show different times.
|More Articles in Indian Regional Monuments (765)|