(Last Updated on : 23/10/2017)
Semi Precious Gemstones in general is considered to be of less value as compared to a Precious Gemstone
. Semi Precious Gemstones has been popular in Eastern and Western countries and in the Middle East. All around the world, gems have been utilised not only as ornaments, but as negotiators of energy and storehouse of mystical powers also. There are 84 types of gems
. Out of these there are only 8 gems which have been described previously and the remaining are called semi-precious gems. Some semi-precious gemstones are not stones at all, but are made of organic materials.
The value given to semi-precious gemstones depend largely on colour, availably and quality. Many of them are used to make idols, cutlery and ornamental items. Some of them are however not available now. Semi-precious gems have more sheen, importance and influence than the real ones.
Some of the Semi Precious Gemstones and its effects are described below -
- It is not a gemstone but a fossil resin. It is largely available in red and yellow colours. It is the earliest, light-weight and gentle among all gems. It is found in the coasts of England, China and Thailand; and in the seas of Baltic, in the form of gum or fatty substance.
- It is an opaque gem. Agate looks splendid after being carved. It is available in several colours. Images of trees
, cloud, grass and also plants
can be seen in the stone. It holds providential power.
- Amethyst is purple in colour. Its value depends upon its thickness in colour. With the augmentation of its thickness, its value and effect also increases. Due to surplus iron in it, an amethyst wearer gains in spiritual power. It crushes every ill obsession.
- Aquamarine belongs to the family of Emerald
. It is azure in colour and also transparent. It possesses all the qualities that an emerald has. People generally wear it instead of emerald.
- It is available in many colours like red, brown and orange. If a person feels feverish in the evening, a carnelian mala is very advantageous for him, because it soaks up excess body heat and cools the patient. Its garland brings in tolerance, tenaciousness and self-confidence. Carnelian also eradicates malicious effects on the wearer.
- It is a transparent stone yellow in colour. It is worn in place of yellow sapphire
. According to scholars, it betters one's fate. It is a representation of comradeship. If worn, a person does not suffer from nightmares and can relish with a sound sleep.
- A garnet is crimson in colour, polished and gorgeous. It corresponds with the sun, so it is worn instead of ruby
. A garnet wearer avoids dishonest and illegitimate activities. It is also very useful for rheumatoid arthritis
- It is reddish-brown in colour with glistening spots that shine like gold
. Goldstone is extremely delicate. Numerous attractive things like mala, statuette, Shivalinga
, etc., are made after cutting and chiselling the gold-stone.
- Jade is a substitute gem of emerald. Jade is mainly available in green. This gem saves the wearer from diseases concerning heart
- Lodestone is opaque, crimson coloured, black and without much sheen. Due to its magnetic capability, it is very helpful in blood related diseases
, arthritis, etc.
11. Lapis Lazuli
- Its colour is bluish-black with golden spots, similar to that of a peacock
's throat. It can be worn instead of blue sapphire
to save oneself from the harmful effects of Saturn
, or any obstacle in any job or disorder at home.
- Malachite is greyish green in colour and has efficient effects. This gem consist features of fine quality copper
. This gem is beneficial if worn in a ring
or around the neck, to prevent any kind of rheumatoid arthritis, abdominal diseases and kidney diseases. If the kidney contains stone inside, it should be worn in a ring or tied around the waist. The stone will itself pass out through urine.
13. Moon Stone
- It is opaque, with the colour of milk
. The name itself denotes that it has some relations with the moon, and the moon relates with the mind. It is useful to wear when the mind is incoherent.
- Among all the gems, opal is the most striking and mystifying. It is as smooth as honey and a reflection of various colours are seen in it. It's worth increases with its coloured lustre. It can also be worn in place of diamond
- It looks polished and shiny. It is coloured like honey. It is largely found in Myanmar, Norway, Canada, Brazil, Argentina, Virginia (U.S.A.) and New Mexico. It satisfies one's wishes of a family, wealth and health.
- Serpentine is light green in colour. In prehistoric times it was used to make utensils. Food was prepared and eaten in those utensils. The toxicant food inside these pots used to change the colour of the vessels to yellow.
- Tourmaline consists of numerous substances. It simultaneously corresponds to three celestial bodies - Mercury
and the Sun
. Tourmaline contains all the qualities of their equivalent gems - Emerald, Diamond and Ruby.
- Its colour is sky bluish or greenish blue. Turquoise contains phosphorus, aluminium, copper and some amount of water. It radiates after it is polished. It is so fragile that it is easily damaged with a little fire or water. Its colour changes, according to the change in seasons