(Last Updated on : 07/09/2010)
The Kanyakumari Temple is a small temple dedicated to goddess Kanyakumari. It is located on the seashore of Kanyakumari. The temple is ancient one and is mentioned in the Ramayana, Mahabharata, and the Sangam works, Manimekalai and Puranaanooru. The image of Kanyakumari was installed and worshipped by Parasurama. SOme other famous temples are
This is a 1000 years old temple. King Raja Raja Chola built this temple. The architectural style of the Cholas is quiet apparent in this temple. It is located near Railway Station. There are 16 inscriptions found in this temple that date back to the years 1038 A.D., 1044 A.D., 1045 A.D as well.
Kanyakumari Bagavathiamman Temple
The place Kanyakumari derives its name from Goddess Kanyakumari Amman. The goddess is the presiding deity of the area. The most prominent temple the Kumari Amman is dedicated to the goddess Parvathi as a virgin. The temple is situated at the edge of the ocean. This place as well as the temple has a legendary story. People from all over the country come and visit the place religiously.
St. Xavier Church
St. Xavier was an outstanding and dedicated priest, visited the coastal areas of Tamil Nadu from Goa. He never missed the opportunity of visiting Kottar in Kanyakumari district. This district was a celebrated commercial centre at that time. During his stay at Kottar, he used to worship St. Mary in the small temple. He was popularly known as "Valiya Pandaram" among the people of Kottar. While he was at Kottar, he avoided the intrusion of Padagas on the people of Venad. This action was appreciated by the king, and subsequently he became closer to the Priest. In recognition of Xavier's services, the king allotted a land to him for the purpose of constructing a catholic church at Kottar. In 1544, there was a church in the same place, where the St. Xavier's church stands now.
The church was built in the year 1600 A.D. In the year 1865, the Church was enlarged and the shrine of our lady was also renovated and vaulted over. In 1930, the church was raised to the status of a Cathedral.
In 1942, in commemoration of the fourth centenary of the arrival of St.Xavier in India, a beautiful tower to the saint, a grotto to Out Blessed Mother and a small shrine to St. Ignatius were constructed in the Cathedral premises. In 1955, the church was further extended and the chapel of Our Lady was incorporated into the enlarged church.
From early day the church is very famous as there are different stories related to its miracle and all. The annual festival is celebrated during the month of November-December. This festival lasts for 10 days and is well visited from different corners of the country.
Peer Mohammed Durha
There is a durha named 'Peer Mohamed Oliyullah Durha' is present at Thuckalay. This place is named after the great philosopher Mohamed Appa, who was born in Tenkasi of Tirunelveli District. After spending sometime in spiritual pursuits in Peermedu of Kerala State he came and stayed at Thuckalay. He was a Tamil poet of great eminence, who wrote many books on philosophy. The Anniversary of this great philosopher poet is celebrated every year on a grand scale. This is mainly celebrated on the full moon day in the month of Rajap. Both the people of Kerala and Tamil Nadu attend the celebrations on large numbers irrespective of their caste, creed and religion.