Areas to be Given Back Massage
There are five divisions of the spine where oil should be applied for the Back Massage and the movements should be made to enhance circulation. Massage of the back is related to the nervous system. There is a Sympathetic Chain Ganglia on either side of the spine and by massaging this area; the discharge of spinal motoneuron is increased. It helps to strengthen weak muscles. Back Massage is like slow stretching, which provides relaxation to muscles, also there is a direct canal filled with CSF (cerebro-spinal fluid), which makes connections in the base of the spinal column with the core of the brain.
According to the system of tantras, the human organism has five centers or chakras of consciousness. The chakras are:
• Base of the spine - the seat of 1st chakra.
• End part of the hip bone is in alignment with the 2nd chakra in the spine.
• End part of the rib cage is in alignment with the 3rd chakra in the spine.
• End part of the shoulder blades is in alignment with the 4th chakra in spine.
• End part of the collar-bone joint is in alignment with the 5th chakra in spine.
The massager should locate these points by following straight alignment and massage them in a circular movement with oil using thumbs</b>. Waist and shoulder region are overstressed; the massager should give special attention to these areas.
Procedure of Back Massage
The person, who is getting the Back Massage, should lie down on his stomach. The procedure of Back Massage is given below step by step:
• Oil should be taken with fingers and applied on the back. For spreading the oil, the massager should make circular movements with bearable pressure and thumbs should be located on either side of the spine.
• Tapping is done before fixing the thumbs for rubbing and pressing the back portion.
• Kneading of the waist area is done after tapping and then shaking is done wherever possible. Each time when the hands are removed they should be clapped. Clapping charges the hands.
• The massager should work on the spine with oil and rubbing in the five above mentioned divisions, and gradually move from the base to the top.
• The massage of the back ends with a rapid movement made by hands with thumbs fixed on either side of the vertebral columns and then lifting the skin with two fingers on the sides of the vertebral column.
Lifting Skin for Back Massage
Lifting the skin of the back is an essential part of the Back Massage. Lifting the skin on either side of the spine is done with both hands and it moves from down to the top. The skin of a healthy person lifts up easily but wherever the skin is not lifting properly and seems to be stuck, then more massage should be given on that area. This is a sign that the internal organ related to this part of the spine is not functioning properly.
(Last Updated on : 18-04-2019)
|More Articles in Aromatherapy Massages (30)|