(Last Updated on : 20-06-2015)
With the district headquarters situated in the Ratlam town, Ratlam is one of the most significant districts in Madhya Pradesh. The district is located in the northwestern part of the state, with a square kilometre area of 4861, with a population of 971,309 (1991 census). It is bounded by Mandsaur district to the north, Jhalawar district to the south, Jhabua to the southeast and Chittorgarh district of Rajasthan to the east. Ratlam is divided into five tehsils and is home to 9 towns and 1077 villages (as of 1991). The district is a part of the Ujjain division. The district came into existence after Indian Independence in 1947, out of the territory of the several princely states, including Ratlam, Jaora, Sailana, Piploda and portions of Dewas junior, Dewas senior and Gwalior, as well as the former province of Panth-Piploda. Ratlam was part of the new state, known as Madhya Bharat. Finally in 1956, Madhya Bharat was merged into India as Madhya Pradesh.
Built in the 10th-11th century AD, Bilpakeshwara Temple is built in the eastern-style of design.
The town Jhar lists itself in the numero uno list due the presence of the Shiva Temple.