Early Life of Pankaj Udhas
This renowned ghazal singer was born on 17th May in the year 1951 at Jetpur in the Gujarat State of India. He originally belongs to the community of 'Charan'. Manhar Udhas is his elder brother who has carved a niche as a Hindi playback singer in Bollywood movies. Pankaj Udhas did his formal education from Sir BPTI Bhavanagar. Later on as his family moved to Mumbai (Bombay), he joined St. Xavier's College in Mumbai. At the age of five he has started exhibiting his singing skills. Pankaj Udhas did his first stage performance during the Indo-Chinese war and sung 'Ae Mere Watan Ke Logon'. Pankaj Udhas is married to Farida. They have two daughters, Nayaab and Rewa.
Career of Pankaj Udhas
Pankaj joined the Sangeet Natak Academy in Rajkot districtand learnt the subtleties of playing the tabla. In the year 1972, he got a break with the film namely, 'Kamna'. The movie was a flop one.
In the year 1980, he released his first ghazal album 'Aahat'. Throughout his professional career Pankaj Udhas has released 40 albums to his credits. He has presented the music genre, Ghazal in a more appealing manner at the same time maintaining the essence of ghazals.
Pankaj Udhas rose to fame with the film Naam (1986 film), in which he sung 'Chitthi Aayee Hai'. The song became hugely popular. It has been said that the song brought the tears to every music lover's eyes. He also appeared in the screen, which made him a star in his own right. Later on also Pankaj Udhas made occasional screen appearances in some films like those in Saajan, Yeh Dillagi and Phir Teri Kahaani Yaad Aayee. He has also composed music for many films and performed as a playback singer for others.
Awards of Pankaj Udhas
* 2006 - Pankaj Udhas Awarded Padma Shri for completing his Silver Jubilee in Gazal singing career.
* 2006 - Awarded the prestigious "Kalakar" award at Kolkata for "Hasrat" as "Best Ghazal album of 2005".
* 2004 - Special Felicitation at the Wembley Conference Centre, London for Completing 20 Years of Performance at the Prestigious Venue.
* 2003 - MTV Immies Award for the successful album 'In Search of Meer'.
* 2003 - Special Achievement Award at the Bollywood Music Award, New York for Popularizing Ghazals Across the Globe.
* 2003 - Dadabhai Naoroji Millennium Award conferred by the Dadabhai Naoroji International Society for Contribution to Ghazal and the Music Industry.
* 2002 - Award for Excellence in Music Field presented by Sahyog Foundation at Mumbai.
* 2002 - Honoured by the Indo-American Chamber of Commerce.
* 2001 - Vocational Recognition Award for Outstanding Performance as a Ghazal singer presented by Rotary Club of Mumbai Downtown.
* 1999 - Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, USA Award for extraordinary services to Indian music, especially promotion of ghazals in India and abroad. Presented at the Festival of Ghazals held in New York.
* 1998 - Indian Arts Awards Gala presented by the Mayor of the City of Jersey City.
* 1998 - Outstanding Artistic Achievement Award presented by the American Academy of Artists at Atlantic City.
* 1996 - Indira Gandhi Priyadarshani Award for Outstanding Services, Achievement and Contribution to Music.
* 1994 - Honorary Citizenship of Lubbock Texas, USA.
* 1994 - Radio Lotus Award for Outstanding Achievement and for the many songs featuring on the official hit parade of the radio. Presented by Radio Lotus, South Africa at the University of Durban.
* 1993 - Giants International Award for extraordinary efforts to achieve the highest standards in the field of music thereby motivating the entire community to pursue excellence.
* 1990 - Outstanding Young Persons' Award (1989-90) for positive leadership and distinguish services rendered to the nation. Presented by the Indian Junior Chambers.
* 1985 - K L Saigal Award for being the Best Ghazal Singer of the Year.
Pankaj Udhas gets small time with all the music involvement for doing social work. But he possesses a sheer purpose to do something better for the society has led to associate with organizations like Cancer Patients Aid Society, Parents Thalassemia Unit, Spastic Society of India and MIND. For demolition of leprosy, thalassemia, and cancer and for the cause of the mentally retarded, he works in an extensive manner.
(Last Updated on : 24-11-2014)
|More Articles in Indian Playback Singers (103)|