(Last Updated on : 24/07/2010)
Mulagumudu, also written as Mulagumoodu, is a small town in Kanniyakumari district, of the southern state of India, Tamil Nadu. The NH 47 passes through the town. It is spread over an area of 9 square kilometers and is surrounded by the towns of Keelkulam in the southeast and Kothanalloor (Kothinallur) in the northeast. The nearest international airport is at Trivandrum and the nearest railway stations are the Kuzhithurai Railway Station and Nagercoil Junction Railway Station. Mulagumudu is easily accessible from Nagercoil and Kuzhithurai via roadways.
The Indian Census report of 2001 states, Mulagumudu had a population of 18,061. Males constitute 48% of the population and females' account for the remaining 52%. In Mulagumudu, 10% of the population is less than six years of age.The Census report also states that the average literacy rate of Mulagumudu is 82%, which is much higher than the national average literacy rate, which is 59.5%. The male literacy rate is 82% and the female literacy rate is 80%.
Padmanabhapuram Palace, Sanguthurai Beach, Manavalakurichi, Colachel Port, Kanyakumari, Muttam and Nagercoil are prime attractions in the vicinity.