(Last Updated on : 24-07-2010)
Mudgal is a ' panchayat town' situated in Raichur District of the southern state of India, Karnataka. Raichur is located in the east of Mudgal at a distance of 100 km. and Mudgal is located in the south of Lingasugur at a distance of 19 km. This historical town is well connected with the other towns and cities with the help of Raichur Railway Station and the airport at Hubli. Geographically, the town is located between 16.02° North latitude and 76.43° East longitude at an altitude of 549 metres (1801 feet) above mean sea level.
As per the Indian Census report published in 2001, Mudgal had a population of 19,117. To be specific, males account for 51% of the population and females account for the remaining 49%. In Mudgal, 16% of the population is less than six years of age. The census report also gives an idea about the literacy rate of the town, which is 52%. It is much lower than the national average literacy rate, which is 59.5%. The male literacy rate is 62% and the female literacy rate is 41%.
Embedded in history, the major attractions in Mudgal include the Mudgal Fort and an ancient Roman Catholic Church, constructed in AD 1557. There are several inscriptions in the town left by the Yadavas of Devagiri.