(Last Updated on : 03-12-2008)
Melpattampakkam is a ' panchayat town' situated in Cuddalore district of the south Indian state of Tamil Nadu. Covering an area of six square kilometers, Melpattampakkam is surrounded by several interesting places like, Panruti, Kurinjipadi, Cuddalore and Neyveli. It is easily accessible from Panruti and Cuddalore by road. The nearest ' access points' are Tiruchirapalli Airport and Cuddalore Junction Railway Station. A Vinayakar Temple is located here.
The Indian Census report of 2001 throws light on the demography of Melpattampakkam. The population of Melpattampakkam had been enumerated to be 6,593. Males account for 46 percent of the population and females comprises of the remaining 54 percent. In Melpattampakkam, 10 percent of the population is less than six years of age. The average literacy rate of this ' panchayat town' has been estimated to be 71 percent. This is much higher than the national average literacy rate, which is 59.5%. To be specific, the male literacy rate is 75 percent and the female literacy rate is 67 percent.