The Malkapur tehsil consists of sixty- four villages. The nearest railway station is the Malkapur Railway Station on the Bhusaval-Akola railway line and the nearest airport is the Aurangabad Airport. It is strategically located on Hajira-Kolkata NH 6. Geographically, the town is located between 20.52° North latitude and 76.12° East longitude at a height of 255 metres (839 feet) above mean sea level.
Going by the Indian Census report of 2001, Malkapur had a population of 61, 015. Males constitute 51% of the population while females account for the remaining 49%. In Malkapur, 15% of the population is less than six years of age. The average literacy rate of Malkapur is 69% which is higher than the national average literacy rate which is 59.5%. Out of it, the male literacy rate is 75% while the female literacy rate is 63%.