(Last Updated on : 02-02-2009)
Makhu is a 'panchayat town' located in Firozpur District of the north Indian state of Punjab. It is situated in the north of Firozpur at a distance of 35 km. The nearest railway station is the Makhu Railway Station on the Ferozepur - Sultanpur Lodhi rail route and the nearest airport is the Amritsar International Airport. It is located between 31.1° North latitude and 75.0° East longitude at a height of 201 metres (659 feet) above mean sea level.
The Indian Census report of 2001 states that Makhu had a population of 12,173. Males account for 52% of the population and females comprises of the remaining 48%. In Makhu, 14% of the population is less than six years of age. The average literacy rate of Makhu is 61% which is slightly higher than the national average literacy rate which is 59.5%. To be specific, the male literacy rate is 65% and the female literacy rate is 56%.