The Indian Census report as published in 2001 states that Maindargi had a population of 11,754. Males account for 51% of the population and females comprises of the remaining 49%. In Maindargi, 15% of the population is less than six years of age. The Census report also brings out the literacy rate which gives an idea about the status of the population. The average literacy rate of Maindargi is 58% which is slightly lower than the national average literacy rate which is 59.5%. To be specific, the male literacy rate is 70% and the female literacy rate is 46%.
The Shivachaleshwar Temple in Maindargi is a prime attraction of the place. Other attractions around Maindargi are the Gulbarga Fort, the tombs of the Bahamani rulers at Gulbarga and the ashrams of Swami Akalkot at Akalkot. Maindargi in Maharashtra is also famous for its handlooms.