(Last Updated on : 23-11-2009)
Tiruvalampuram Temple is the 44th in the series of Tevara Stalams located south of the river Kaveri.
: Vishnu worshipped Shiva here to receive a Valampuri Shankh here. Heranda Muni who went into the ground in search of Kaveri at Tiruvalanchuzhi, and it re-emerged here.
: It covers an area of two acres. The image of Bhikshatanar is depicted playing a veena. Appar's Tevaram here refers to Shiva holding a veena in his arms, moving around as Bhikshatanar. Shiva is known as Dakshinapureeswarar. The temple was rebuilt in stone during the period of Vikrama Chola (1121), according to the inscriptions here. Images of Natarajar and Sivakami, Palliyarai Nachiyar, Tandanganni Nachiyar etc. were added later. The bronze image of Kiratamurthy is beautiful.
: the annual festival is observed in the month of Thai.