Early life of Arjun Vishnuvardhan
Arjun Vishnuvardhan was born as Chirukandath Manoj Arjun Vishnuvardhan on 21st August in the year 1990. Arjun started playing chess at the tender age of 8. For Under-18 years and Under-9 year's age group, he was the State Champion but he was below 9-years at that time. This 17 year old Indian chess prodigy is an International Master in the United States of America.
Career of Arjun Vishnuvardhan
In May 2006, at his 15 years of age after beating the top International Master Edward Formanek became the National Game-60 Chess Champion of the integral United States. Formanek is a professor of Mathematics in Pennsylvania University in USA. Arjun became the youngest National Game 60 Champion of the United States with this phenomenal victory over the top IM. Arjun Vishnuvardhan at the age of 16 years and 11 months, became the youngest ever Keralite to become an International Master. In the year of 2000, by becoming the youngest International FIDE rated player of the country, he posted the National record in India. He won the British Junior Under-11 Championship in the year 2001 held in Scarborough, UK. In the very next year, Arjun Vishnuvardhan won the Under-16 Youth Championship which was held at Middle East. He again made the history in chess when he was just 11-years and few months old. In a co-occurrent chess contention held in UAE, he has defeated Grandmaster Iuldachev Saidali of Uzbekistan and become the youngest chessplayer of India ever to vote out a Grandmaster outside of India in a simul chess competition.
After a break of one year from chess, in the year 2004, Arjun Vishnuvardhan came back to the International chess circuit. In the same year, he tied for the North American and Caribbean Youth Championship title. He became the Youth Chess Champion in the year 2005. In the Biel Chess Festival, held at Switzerland, he became the triple gold winner. Another Youth title after a few months, he won from Spain. In between the year 2005 to 2007, Arjun Vishnuvardhan drew and overcame lot of International Masters and Grandmasters in various play, rapid and regular chess championships. These championships were held at USA, Switzerland, Spain and other parts of the world. As on 13th of August 2007, he has an International Fide elo of 2325. At the age of 16 years, he won 18 International chess medals as on 13th August 2007.
Achievements of Arjun Vishnuvardhan
The achievements of Arjun Vishnuvardhan in his small yet impressive career include-
* At the age of 9, he was the youngest Indian to get the International rating.
* At the age of only 16 he is the holder of 18 International chess medals.
* The famous Grandmasters Dusan Popovich (Serbia), Silvino Garcia (Cuba), Antic Dejan (Serbia), Iuldachev Saidali (Uzbekistan) Julio Becerra (USA) was defeated recently by him.
* Arjun Vishnuvardhan also drew with Grandmasters Dimitry Gurevich (USA), Anatoly Lein (USA), Vitali Golod (Israel), Mikhail Ulibin (Russia), Kostic Vladimir (Serbia), Ciric Dragoljub (Yugoslavia) and Ivan Nemet (Switzerland) in the various International blitz, rapid and regular chess tournaments.
* Arjun held 18 International chess medals at the age of 16 years.
* He was declared as the best non-titled player in the Biel chess festival Grand Master Open, in Switzerland in the year 2007.
This kind of victory is really an unusual accomplishment among junior chess players, which places Arjun Vishnuvardhan clearly amongst the rising stars of Indian chess.
(Last Updated on : 09-03-2012)
|More Articles in Indian Chess Players (36)|