One of the 12 districts in Himachal Pradesh, Kinnaur is divided into three administrative areas of Pooh, Kalpa and Nichar. The administrative districts are located in Reckong Peo. According to prehistoric texts, Kinners are half humans and half gods. Reckong Peo, Kalpa and Kinnaur Kailash, regarded the abode of Lord Shiva, surrounded with breathtaking beauty, can be witnessed from Sangla Valley. The place is extremely revered by the Hindus. A number of temples lace Kinnaur whilst echoing the sheer religiosity of the place. Besides Hindus, Tibetan Buddhism is also practiced in this district and the presence of various monasteries and the Buddhist gompas further proves this. The Kinnaur Kailash is considered the most sacred mountain by most Kinners. Every year a yatra is organised, with huge participation from the believers` front.
Badri Narayan Temple, Batseri, Kinnaur, Himachal Pradesh
- Showcasing intermixture of structural design, Badri Narayan Temple is home to Lord Badri Narayan.
Hateshwari Temple, Kinnaur, Himachal Pradesh
- Demonstrating Buddhist style of architecture, Hateshwari Temple houses two divinities within the sanctum.
Maheshwar Temple, Sungra, Kinnaur, Himachal Pradesh
- Explicit in architectural work, Maheshwar Temple redefines gothic work in ancient India.
Bering Nag Temple, Kinnaur, Himachal Pradesh
-Bering Nag Temple is situated in Kinnaur district, Himachal Pradesh. The temple is consecrated to God Jagas. The renowned Fulaich Fair, a flower festival, is celebrated between August and September every year in the temple premises.
Kamakhya Devi Temple, Kamru Village, Kinnaur, Himachal Pradesh
- Encased within strict rules, Kamakhya Devi Temple resembles a patronising citadel.
Narayan Nagini Temple, Chini Village, Kinnaur, Himachal Pradesh
-Narayan Nagini Temple is located atop a hill in Chini Village in Kinnaur district in Himachal Pradesh. This brilliant shrine, built in the Tibetan Pagoda style of architecture, is a perfect example of Kinnauri masonry.
Kinnaur Kailash Yatra, Kinnaur, Himachal Pradesh
- Legendary for being the dwelling of Lord Shiva, pilgrims undertake the Kinnaur Kailash Yatra, spellbinding from every angle.
Mahabodhi Kinnaur Buddhist Temple, Kinnaur, Himachal Pradesh
- Blessed by his holiness, the Dalai Lama, Mahabodhi Kinnaur Buddhist Temple is situated amidst luxurious environs.
Namgaya Buddhist Temple, Namgaya Village, Kinnaur, Himachal Pradesh
- Dedicated to local goddesses, Namgaya Buddhist Temple is situated close to the Chinese border.
Lippa Monastery, Jangi Village, Kinnaur, Himachal Pradesh
- A prehistoric construction, Lippa Monastery is a key centre of Buddhist religious works.
Kanam Monastery, Kanam Village, Kinnaur, Himachal Pradesh
- Housing the holy texts of Buddhism, Kanam Monastery houses several other monasteries in its complex.
Jampa Monastery, Chuling Village, Kinnaur, Himachal Pradesh
-Jampa Monastery is situated in Chuling Village in Kinnaur district, Himachal Pradesh. Daily bus service is obtainable to Reckong Peo from Shimla. The trip to Chuling takes a whole day by bus, in addition to a two-hour walk. No inner line-permit is needed to travel to Chuling.