Etymology of Ravlya and Javlya Fort
According to local history, Ravlya and Javlya were two brothers. One day they were working in the field, saw a woman approaching them. Each said she was his wife and the dispute waxed hot. When the woman came near, they found out the woman as their sister. Ashamed of their fight, they made a fire in the field and jumped into it. They were both burnt to death. To complete the sacrifices, their sister also jumped into the fire. In honour of their self-devotion, the two peaks and a tree sprung up. Thus, the peaks got the name as Ravlya and Javlya.
History of Ravlya and Javlya Fort
In 1636, Ravlya and Javlya Fort were won by Alavardi Khan for the Mughal emperor Shah Jahan. In 1670, this fort was won by Shivaji Maharaj. The Mughals regained control over the fort after the death of Shivaji Maharaj. In 1671, this fort was captured by Mahabat Khan. The fort was under the Peshwas for a long time until the British forces captured it in 1818. In 1819, Captain Mackintosh destroyed the steps, bastion and the walls of the fort making the ascent of the fort impracticable.
Structure of Ravlya and Javlya Fort
The greater part of the Ravlya and Javlya Forts are enclosed by wall with a single gate defended by the two towers. The gate and towers are in ruins. There is an inscription at the gate to be seen on the fort with Ganesh Idol. There are rock-cut water cisterns.
Visiting Information of Ravlya and Javlya Fort
The base village Babapur can be reached easily by bus. There are regular buses from Nashik to Wani. Wani is 9 kms from Babapur village. One needs to trek to the Ravlya and Javlya Fort from the base village.
|More Articles in Forts in Maharashtra (113)|