Medieval History of Bargarh
Bargarh got the medieval history from the forts built by Chouhan Dynasty. From an inscription of the 11th century AD it is believed that the original name of the place was "Bahgar Kota". Balaram Dev, the Chauhan King of Sambalpur District ruled this province when it acquires the name "Bargarh". He made it his headquarters for some time while the fort near the Jeera River said to be built. Narayan Singh, the last Chauhan King of Sambalpur, now Sambalpur District gave the whole land of Bargarh to two Bramhin brothers Krushna Dash and Narayan Dash, son of Baluki Dash who was killed in action by the Gond Rebel led by Baldia Ray and Mahapatra Ray. Padampur sub-division of bargarh, popularly known as the "Borasambhar Region" was the headquarters of the Zamindari extended over 2178 km2. This is the biggest sub-division of Bargarh District which has also a feudal history with a tribal leader.
Buddhism in Bargarh
Buddhism in Bargarh played a significant role in defining the lifestyle of the people for a short period of time. Some ancient Buddhist monasteries and sculptures can be seen along a belt starting from Bijepur block (Ganiapali) to the Paikamal block (Nrusinghanath), which has a clear mention in Hieun Tsang 's literature as Po-Li-Mo-Lo-Ki-Li (Parimalagiri).
Modern History of Bargarh
The legendary Surendra Sai led his war against the British East India Company from Debrigarh, which is a peak on the Barapahad Range. His fight against the British East India Company particularly after the First War of Independence in 1857 was remarkable in the history of freedom struggle in India. Debrigarh today is a tiger sanctuary. Barabakhra (12 caves) used to be a secret meeting place during the British era. Bargarh was a subdivision of old Sambalpur district until April 1992, when the then chief minister Mr. Biju Patnaik declared it as the headquarters of the newly formed district by the same name.
Cities of Orissa
Temples of Odisha
|More Articles in Bargarh (3)|