Barrackpore or Barrackpur is only an industrial town in West Bengal located in North 24 Parganas. Barrackpore is also a getaway destination in weekend.
Barrackpore Temple is one of the ancient temples in Barrackpore. Barrackpore Temple was inaugurated on April 12, 1875, just 20 years after Dakshineswar. Ramakrishna Paramhansa was present at the ceremony.
Millitary Barrack in Barrackpore
In the year 1772, the first military barrack of Indian and the East India as well was set up by the British East India Company in Barrackpore, which was till then known as Chanak. Barrackpore soon became an important base for the British East India Company, as the Dutch East India Company settled in Chinsurah and the French East India Company in Chandernagore settled along the Hooghly River.
Summer Palace of Lord Wellesley
The importance of the military town of Barrackpore grew when Lord Wellesley made it the summer retreat for British officials posted in Calcutta (Kolkata). He was so much in love with the river that he donated Rs 1,000 for the construction of a Danish Church at Serampore, on the other bank which is now in Howrah District of West Bengal. Till the year 1829, all rulers of India, including Lord Warren Hastings, Lord Auckland, Lord Minto and Lord Lytton, spent their summers at the luxurious Raj Bhavan in Barrackpore.
Mangal Pandey Garden
Barrackpur came in the lime light of Indian modern history on March 29, 1857, when a young soldier of Bengal Infantry, named Mangal Pandey, rose in revolt against his British East India Company in Eastern India. The tree from which Mangal Pandey and another sepoy named Ishwari Pandey were hanged can still be seen in Latbagan. A small memorial has been built near the spot.
Navratna Annapurna Temple
Barrackpore houses a Navratna Annapurna temple that is a replica of the Dakshineswar temple. Both temples were built by the family member of Rani Rashmoni. There are six small Shiva temples on the western side of the Annapurna temple, which is accessible through a huge gate with a lion's statue on top.
Close to the Nava Ratna Temple, there is Gandhighat located. It is perhaps the most popular tourist stop in Barrackpore. A white monument in the memory of Mahatma Gandhi is the main attraction at this landmark by the Hooghly River. A Gandhi museum was opened here in 1966.
Temple of Fame
Temple of Fame is another must-visit site in Barrackpore. It was built by Lord Minto in memory of British soldiers who died during the conquest of Java and Mauritius in the early 19th century. This elegant Greek temple was designed by GR Blane and bears similarities with Isle de France.
Latbagan is a famous place in Barrackpore. Latbagan has the small but beautiful grave of Lady Canning. She loved Barrackpore so much that she wished to be buried here. A few yards away, there is a statue of Lord Canning. Latbagan became a veritable storehouse of wonderful sculptures. Latbagan had the first zoo in Bengal during British era. It was later shifted to Alipore and named as the Alipur Zoo.
Barrackpore was once the home of the 250-year-old giant Galapagos tortoise that is now housed in Calcutta zoo. It was brought to Barrackpore by Lord Wellesley in the year 1800 and was moved in 1875. A 240-year-old banyan tree is yet another attraction of Latbagan.
St Bartholomew Cathedral
St Bartholomew Cathedral was built in the year 1831, and St Joseph Church was built in 1856. The bell tower at St Joseph Church adds the grandeur to the simple place of worship.
(Last Updated on : 07-02-2015)
|More Articles in Barrackpur (5)|