Early History of Barrackpur
Early History of Barrackpore states the port city in the writings of the Greek navigators, geographers, chronicles and historians of the 1st century BC to the 3rd century AD. These authors generally referred to the country of people variously called the Gangaridae, Gangaridai and Gandaritai.
Medieval History of Barrackpur
Medieval History of Barrackpur is recorded in 15th and 16th centuries AD. In the middle ages, Barrackpur was named as "Chanak". At that time, "Chanak" and the other towns in the region had become populous river towns. W.W. Hunter in the later half of the middle age mentioned that the towns and villages of this subdivision on the banks of the Hooghly river as chief trading and marketing centres. Along with the Barrackpur, the Middle Ages port towns are Baranagar, Dakhineswar, Agarpara, Panihati, Sukchar- Khardah, Barrackpur, Nawabganj, Ichapore, Shyam Nagar, Naihati and Halisahar. Under the Mughal Empire, Bengal was divided into Circars, or administrative subunits, each of which was ruled over by a Mahal. The name "Barbuckpur", another name for Barrackpore, is associated with a Mahal in the Ain-e-Akbari. From the 17th century, the area of Barrackpore was ruled over by a line of Zamindars from the Nona Chandanpukur of Barrackpore.
Modern History of Barrackpur
The first British barrack or cantonment in India was built in the town in the year 1772. It was the first military base in Barrackpur. After the British crown assumed direct control of India, the sprawling Government House and the Government Estate were built in Barrackpore to provide the Viceroy with a suburban residence 15 miles outside of Kolkata. The two rebellions against British East Indian Company took place in Barrackpore in the 19th century. The first of these was in the year 1824, which is led by Sepoy Binda Tiwary. In this Speoy Rebellion, the mostly high-caste Hindu 47th Bengal Native Infantry refused to board boats to cross the polluted "dark waters" to Burma (Myanmar) in the First Anglo-Burmese War. Consequently, British-manned artillery fired upon and "erased" them. In the year 1857, Barrackpore or Barrackpur was the scene of Indian rebellion of 1857. Mangal Pandey attacked his British commander, and was subsequently court-marshalled. His regiment was disbanded, an action which offended a number of sepoys and is considered to have contributed to the anger that fuelled the rebellion. In order to commemorate his sacrifice, a park named "Sahid Mangal Pandey Udyan" was opened in the serenity of Hoogly River. The Army cantonment of Barrackpore or Barrackpur also houses another significant historical landscape called the RCTC area, now populated by the defence quarter.
(Last Updated on : 09-02-2015)
|More Articles in Barrackpur (5)|