Fort William was constructed in the year 1781 in Kolkata and presently serves as the head quarter of the Indian Army's eastern operation wing. This octagonal fort is surrounded by Hooghly River on three sides. It has been the witness of a number of historic battles and a large part of the fort was demolished during the Battle of Plassey. The fort was named after King William III.
Raichak Fort, situated in Raichak region of the state, was built by the British East India Company in 1783 and exhibits an amalgam of modern architecture and Anglo-Indian style. It was constructed for defence against pirates from arriving to the town. Currently the ruined fort has been converted into a 5 star hotel.
Kurumbera Fort stands near the Keshiari Village in Midnapore region of West Bengal. Enclosed by 10 feet high walls, the fort houses a number of small quarters and temples. Among them, a Shiva temple, constructed between 1438 and 1469 is a prominent temple in the fort. The fort also shelters an ancient mosque which was built by Muhammad Tahir.
Buxa Fort stands on the Buxa Hill located near Alipurduar in the Buxa Tiger Reserve, Jalpaiguri district. It was considered as a shelter for the refugees during the chaos in Tibet. In ancient times the fort has also served as a contact point between the King of Bhutan and the Cooch Kings. During the British rule in India, Buxa Fort was used to imprison the Indian revolutionaries. It also serves as the initiating point of several trekking routes.
Mendabari Fort, in Gorumara, was constructed during the reign of Gupta Empire. It stands near Bania River in the state of West Bengal. The travelogue of Marco Polo has the mention of Mendabari Fort.
Chandraketu's Fort dates back to 16th century and is presently in the state of ruins. It stands in Berachampa village in North 24-Pargana district of the state. Archaeological excavations carried out in the fort area have revealed prosperous urban civilizations and provides insights of the lifestyle of the periods between Pre-Mauryan to Pala rules. A large number of antiquities have also been unearthed which have been displayed at the museums of Kolkata. The fort serves as a famed tourist destination.
Chingrihkali Fort, in Raichak region of West Bengal, is an ancient Portuguese fort which is presently in ruins. In bygone era, it served as a refuge to the Portuguese pirates. Near the fort, an ancient lighthouse stands which guides the ships arriving the place.
Gard Moyna, in Midnapore, is another ancient fort of West Bengal which belongs to the Moyna Royal Family. A 150 feet wide moat surrounds the entire fort.
Forts of Chandrakona
The town of Chandrakona, situated between Ghatal and Garbeta in Midnapore are known for Ramgard and Lalgard forts which were erected by the Chauhan kings. Lalgard fort houses an idol of Lord Giridhar Ji which was enshrined in 1655 whereas the Ramgard fort hosts an idol of Lord Raghunath Ji that was installed in 1522.