(Last Updated on : 24/03/2014)
in Himachal Pradesh
portray the historical significance of this part of the country, and its royal heritage. Such forts have been witnessed several ancient episodes, invasions and regimes of different dynasties
and conquerors. Though some of these forts have been destroyed and are in ruins, most of the forts have retained their glory and grandeur. Arki Fort, Kangra
Fort, Nauni Fort and Kahlur Fort are the various forts which are existent here. Historians
and tourists make a beeline for these monuments
, mainly for their architectural charm.
Arki Fort was constructed in the period between 1695 and 1700 by one of the descendants of Rana Sabha Chand named Rana Prithvi Singh. The Gurkha
s had invaded the fort in the year 1806. In the ancient days, Arki served as the capital of the Princely state
which was established by a Panwar Rajput
, Rana Ajai Dev. Amar Singh Thapa who was the Gurkha General used Arki as a military base for making further intrusions into the northern Indian state of Himachal Pradesh.
Built by the royal Rajput family belonging to Kangra, the Kangra Fort is believed to be the biggest fort in the Himalayan Ranges
and is the most ancient forts in the entire country. This fort is existent at a distance of about 20 kms away from Dharamsala
town on the outskirts of the town of Kangra. Kangra Fort finds mention in Mahabharata
and was also asserted in the war records of Alexander during the 4th century.
A tiny courtyard was added to the fort premises during the rule of the Sikh
Nauni Fort is situated in the village of Nauni, on the Solan
Road, at a distance of nearly 15 kms away from Solan town in the state of Himachal Pradesh. The remnants of the ancient Gorkha Fort can be observed from the grounds of the Nauni Fort and Giri River
is located at a distance of nearly 9 kms away from here. A few distance away from Nauni Fort is based the Dr. Yashwant Singh Parmar University of Horticulture and Forestry
Raja Base had erected the Nurpur Fort more than a thousand years ago and is present about 24 kms away from Pathankot
and 66 kms away from Dharamsala. Previously it was referred to as 'Dhameri'. Later, the fort was renamed as 'Nurpur Fort' by the Mughal emperor Jahangir
, for his beloved queen Noor Jehan
The Sujanpur Fort is located the district of Hamirpur
on the banks of Beas River
. It is also termed as 'Tira' and was constructed during the year 1758 by Raja Abhaya Chand. The fort is based on the summit of Sujanpur Fort. During the 19th century, Pahari
and Kangra paintings
were patronised by Raja Sansar Chand who had resided here.
Kahlur Fort is present in Kahlur in Himachal Pradesh and it was established by Kahal Chand during the period around 697.