History of Anjediva Fort
The Portuguese Viceroy Dom Francisco de Almeida arrived in India during March 1505 and was ordered to erect four forts in the nation which involved the Anjediva Fort. The fort was to serve as a crucial nerve-centre for trade of spices, particularly for the trade of spices for merchant ships from Portugal, Greece, Egypt and Arabia, to and from the East. The legendary sailor Vasco da Gama and also a Jewish trader named Gaspar da Gama requested the king of Portugal to create a naval fort at the region of Anjediva, to gain the administrative control of Goa.
Dom Francisco de Almeida started building the Anjediva Fort on 13th September, 1505. The regional inhabitants provided the supply of lime, timber, palm leaves and cane for the creation of Anjediva Fort. It is said that an old temple was destroyed to collect stone to be utilized in the construction of the Anjediva Fort. It took about 21 days and three months to accomplish the creation of this fort.
Following the construction of this fort, it was employed by the Portuguese for military fortification and also as a daily maritime stop for their ships and vessels. The Viceroy Count of Alvor had remodified the fort in the year 1682 and the fort was inhabited by over 600 people. The facilities of a Portuguese school, a Jesuit school and also a Jesuit college are all available in this fort. However, this fort was deserted by the Portuguese during the year 1843. The Hindus and Christians utilized the fort as a shelter when it was a Portuguese territory and was attacked by Tipu Sultan. On 19th December, 1961 Anjediva Fort officially was declared a part of India.
Archaeological Findings at Anjediva Fort
The Department of Archaeology and Museums (Goa) has conducted certain excavations at the site of Anjediva Fort. Pots belonging to the 11th and 12th centuries, ancient pillars, stones and the creative works of the Chalukyas and Kadambas have been discovered from this region. Archaeologists have determined from that artefacts revealed that they might be the ruins of an ancient, destroyed temple dedicated to a Goddess named Aryadurga Devi.