History of Thiruvallur Town
In the past, this region was under a chain of regimes starting from the Pallavas during the seventh century and ending with the Nawabs of Arcot during the early part of nineteenth century when it came under the British rule. In the year 1687, the Golconda rulers were defeated and the region came under the Mughal emperors of Delhi. It also experienced the Carnatic war. Battles were fought in this region during the struggle for supremacy between the English and French. Pulicat town was the earliest Dutch possession in India founded in 1609 which went to the British control in 1825. With this, present region covered by the Thiruvallur town came under the rule of the British East India Company which ended on the 15th of August, 1947 with India becoming independent.
This town consists of four revenue villages namely Thiruvallur, Perumpakkam, Periakuppam and Pungathur. The town is divided into twenty seven wards. The town of Thiruvallur is situated at a distance of forty two kilometres to the west of the city of Chennai. It lies on Chennai-Bangalore broad gauge railway line and Chennai-Tirupati Trunk road. The town is located between thirteen degree nine minutes to the North latitude and seventy nine degree fifty five minutes to the East longitude. The present extent of this town is 10.75 square kilometres. The Poondi reservoir from where drinking water is drawn to the Chennai city is situated at a distance of about nine kilometres from this town.
According to the 2001 census in India, the town of Thiruvallur had a population of 45,517 from which the males and females comprise of equal percentage. The average rate of literacy in this town is seventy six percent which is higher than the national average of 59.5 percent. The male literacy rate in this town is eighty two percent and the female literacy rate is sixty nine percent. Eleven percent of the population is under six years of age in this town.
There are a number of higher secondary schools in the town of Thiruvallur like private and government schools, and government aided school called D.R.B.C.C is very famous around the town, and a number of private schools also serve the purpose. A small number of engineering colleges are also present in the town, and a few medical colleges, arts and science colleges as well. The town attained the status of the district headquarters of Thiruvallur district in the year 1997. There are also several industries including few Fortune hundred companies.
(Last Updated on : 01-05-2014)
|More Articles in Cities of Tamil Nadu (289)|