(Last Updated on : 28-06-2010)
Situated on the foothills of the Shivalik
Range on the right bank of the river Sombh (a tributary of Yamuna), Chhachhrauli is a town in Yamunanagar district of Harayana. It is situated at a distance of 8 Km.from Jagadhari town, which is at its south and in the north is the city of Paonta Sahib.
In ancient times Chhachhrauli was the capital of Kalsia state founded by Raja Gurbaksh Singh in 1763.It was a gift given by Maharaja Ranjit Singh to Gurbaksh Singh.Before coming under the Indian union in 1947, Kalsia Rajas ruled this lush green town. Numerous forts, palaces of erstwhile rulers which once inhabited the place are now converted into offices. The town has an entrance gate named after Raja Ravi Sher Singh.
The Raghunath and Shiva temples of this place are of great religious importance. Some places of attraction of this town are Ravi Mahal, Ghantaghar and Janak Niwas. There is an old haveli constructed with lakhauri bricks and lime mortar .The walls of the haveli are decorated with paintings and intricate floral patterns. Sainik Parivar Bhawan and Bal-kunj are social welfare institution functioning in Chhachhrauli. A good network of roads connects Chhachhrauli with other cities in Haryana and nearby Delhi. Chhachhrauli has a busy station, a grain market, banks and hardware stores.
According to 2001 census report, Chhachhrauli had a population of 9720.Males constitute 51% of the population and females 49%. 13% of the population is under six years of age. Whereas the average literacy rate is 59.5% the average literacy rate of this Himalayan town is 70%. Male literacy rate is 75% and female literacy rate is 65%. It has an average elevation of 258 metres (846 feet) and is located at 30.25° N 77.37° E.