Elgandal Fort in Karimnagar District is located on the banks of the river Manair which is a tributary of the Godavari River- The Ganga of the South. The defensive structure was founded in 1754 AD by Zafar-Ud-Doula. The geographical coordinates of the Elgandal Fort in Karimnagar District are latitude 18.42 degree 751 North and longitude 79.042601 degree East latitude.
Location of Elgandal Fort
Elgandal Fort is pointed in Elgandal. This is situated on the banks of Manair River. This region where the fort is located was popularly known in earlier times as Bahudhanyapuram, Tellakandula and Veligandula. In the course of time, this place came to be called Elgandal. It was the capital of Telangana and is a place of historical importance having been subjected to the rule of five royal dynasties like the Kakatiya Dynasty, Bahmani Dynasty, Qutub Shahi Dynasty, Mughal Dynasty and Asaf Jahi Dynasty.
History of Elgandal Fort
Elgandal Fort was occupied by 5 different dynasties, including the Asaf Jahi dynasty (Nizams of Hyderabad), the Mughal dynasty and the Qutb Shahi dynasty. The fort was appointed as the headquarters of Karimnagar during the rule of the Nizams of Hyderabad.
Architecture of Elgandal Fort
There are number of monuments and architectural splendours inside the vicinity of the fort, including various mosques, watch towers and a secret tunnel that was utilized in emergency escape during attacks of the enemy forces. Some of the minarets in the premise vibrate when the structures are shaken. There are also several tombs dedicated to Muslim saints, such as, Vali Hyder Saheb, Shah Talib Bismilla Saheb, Mohammed Khairuddin Saheb, Syed Maroof Saheb, Doola Shah Saheb and Syed Shah Munawar Quadri Saheb. Apart from these, there is a Do Minar (twin towers) located on the outside area of Elgandal Fort. It consists of 2 tall pillars that were erected by the Nizams of Hyderabad. The fortress also had an Eidgah which is used to perform special ceremonies and prayers during Eid. The Brindavan tank is situated near the eastern entrance of Elgandal Fort. It was constructed in 1754 AD by Zafar-ud-Doula.