History of Gandhara Jain Teerth
According to history Gandhara Jain Teerth dates back to the ancient times. According to the Inscription found on the idol of Lord Parshavanatha installed her, it was ceremoniously installed by Jagadguru Shri Hiravijayasuriji in the seventeenth century of the Vikram Samvat Era. He had visited the Gandhar village for Chaturmasa along with his group of pupils. Hiravijayasuriji had visited the place on the request of the Mughal Emperor, Akbar who considered it as a possibility to spread Jainism. The king had invited him to Fatehpur Sikri.
Gandhar village has been invaded several times by the pirates from Khambhat in the beginning of the 18th century. It is said that earlier there were two temples present here, the temple of Lord Mahavira and of Lord Parshvanatha. The temple of Mahavira is however now in ruined state. The ruins of the temple can be seen round the place. As per records it was constructed in V.S. 1500. Later Harakunvar Shethani had re-constructed the temple in V.S. 1810. Thereafter, when again cracks developed in the walls Shri Sangha got it repaired. Many idols located at Gandhar were transported to Dahej village situated at a distance of 19 kms. One of the main idols carried to the village was of Shri Hiravijayasuriji. It was almost 30 cms in height.
Temple of Gandhara Jain Teerth
The temple of Gandhara Jain Teerth is dedicated to Lord Parshvanatha. The temple has been magnificently carved with intricate designs. The idol is white in colour and is seated in padmasana posture. The temple is decorated with fine paintings of the sacred Jain places of Shetrunjay, Girnar, Sametshikhar and Gandhar. In the year 1969 of the Vikram Era Acharyadev Shri Vijayramchandrasurisvarji took diksha in this sacred place.
The Temple of Gandhara Jain Teerth being located on the sea-shore is surrounded by scenic beauty that enthrals the pilgrims. The calm and tranquil environment gives a soothing effect on the minds of the devotees. This temple is at a distance of 13 kilometers from Kavi on the Bharuch-Kavi road. Bus service and service of private vehicles are available.
|More Articles in Jain Pilgrimages in India (298)|