Situated in a quiet lane off Raja Dinendra Street in Maniktala Shri Badrinath Jain Swetambara Mandir is a beautiful temple with intricate designs. It occupies a vast space. This pinnacled temple is dedicated to Bhagawan Shitalanath. The temple is famous for its architectural delight. The principal shikhara or spire of the main temple extends above the crenellated walls.
On the entrance gate of the temple there is a plaque on the gate that reads that the temple and the garden were founded by Rai Budree Das, the Viceroy of 1867. Adjacent to this there is a statue of a woman with long golden hair on a giant tile. The woman is depicted wearing a pleated two-tiered gown holding a flaming torch. She is also seen standing amid the moon and stars. The Sheetalnathji Jain temple is visited by hundreds of devotees every day who worship the Lord and seek his blessings.
Architecture of Sheetalnathji Jain Temple
Sheetalnathji Jain temple is a single-storied building. It is flanked by two elephants and their mahouts sitting on either side. A marble statue of the founder of the temple can be seen front of it which finds its mention in the plaque. His hands can be seen in a folded position. It was erected in 1910. The temple shikharas were of mosaic pattern made of coloured glass. However, with time the most of the coloured glass have now disappeared leaving behind scars.
The temple is beautifully designed that speaks of the magnificent art work of the artisan. One can also get a glimpse of the sculptural work of the artisan that has given a new dimension to the pilgrimage site. This temple is managed by Shri Badrinath Jain Swetambar Mandir Pedhi.
|More Articles in Jain Pilgrimages in India (298)|